VMware Cloud Community
smoothrivers
Contributor
Contributor

Error trying to create a new VM

I've gone thru the  guided consolidation, confidence is high, but the transfer from physical to VM won't complete.

I've tried both recommended and manual methods.  Both run for a few moments, , then I get general system error:  Failed to create disk, Error creating disk, followed by a vCenter Converter Agent System error.

Creating a new blank VM on this host and storage unit works fine.

The critical part of the log is:

managedVMCreator 1315, CreateVM task failed: A general system error occurred: failed to create disk.

A copy of the log is attached.

Thanks in advance

jdm

0 Kudos
5 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

What's the size of the disk and - in case of VMFS-3 - which block size does the target datastore have? The default block size (1 MB) supports virtual disks of up to 256 GB only.

If this is not your issue, then please provide some more information about your setup. Which vSphere/ESXi version? How does the physical system look like and which OS does it run?

André

0 Kudos
Villag3Idiot
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Can you please provide a little more information on the physical machine you are trying to convert? Such as OS version, size of physical disks etc...

I've run into something similar before, and it had to do with the block size that the VMFS was formatted in, not allowing me to create a large enough virtual disk for the data drive of the physical server.

http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?language=en_US&cmd=displayKC&externalId=100356...

What is the block size of the VMFS that your are trying to create this VM on?

0 Kudos
smoothrivers
Contributor
Contributor

The server  nothing special:

Win 2003 R2

C:\ drive 9.76 GB, 1.9 free

E:\ drive 64.7 GB, 7.47 free

512 MB of RAM

(it's pretty much just a stand alone that processes CC transactions)

Block size is 4 MB.  There is 257 GB free on the datastore.

0 Kudos
Linjo
Leadership
Leadership

Basic or Dynamic disks?

// Linjo

Best regards, Linjo Please follow me on twitter: @viewgeek If you find this information useful, please award points for "correct" or "helpful".
0 Kudos
smoothrivers
Contributor
Contributor

basic

0 Kudos