VMware Cloud Community
chalre
Contributor
Contributor

Error "Permission to perform this operation was denied." after upgrade to VM Server 2.5.0

My company just recently upgraded to VM VirtualCenter version 2.5.0, and I manage one of the hosts. My role is "Administrator", which I believe is one of the install default roles. Ever since the upgrade I've been having some permissions problems. I first discovered it when I tried to mount an ISO, then also when I tried to use a CD drive. Now I also see it when I tried to delete a VM. The message is always the same:

Permission to perform this operation was denied.

I know that some of our permission sets (roles) were not preserved in the upgrade. For instance, we have a Snapshot User permission that contains all four snapshot permissions, and post-upgrade those were reset to only allow two of them (Revert, Rename). As we've identified these problems, we've been able to correct them. This one still eludes, us, though.

Can you help?

0 Kudos
8 Replies
tssells
Contributor
Contributor

I had a similar issue with VMWare Workstation. Check your NTFS permission's on the VM data folder. I had to give "users" full control to the folder as I think I may have been logged in differently. This was with Vista too. That being said it still sounds like Windows File Permission's. Try running a Process Monitor log (sysinternals / Microsoft) when performing these functions and it will tell you if you are being denied at the file level.

0 Kudos
chalre
Contributor
Contributor

Hmm. Interesting. With this being on the server, that might explain why I get the same error when I'm logged in using the same user on a different machine.

I will have to try this when I get back from the holiday break, and I'll let you know. Thank you for your help!

0 Kudos
chalre
Contributor
Contributor

Unfortunately, it doesn't appear that this solution applies to VM Server, only Workstation. Smiley Sad Any other ideas?

Right now we're looking at creating me separatelocal user (currently users are pulled from LDAP or Active Directory) as a workaround.

0 Kudos
tssells
Contributor
Contributor

I would create a local account and give full permission to the data folder then. That should suffice. Also make sure that there are not multiple groups (domain level) on the folder that have lower permission's than your administrative account. For example if you were in two groups (domain admins and domain users) and both groups were on the folder if domain users only had read / list / execute then you would run into issues.

0 Kudos
JasonV
Contributor
Contributor

We had this same problem after the 2.5 upgrade. When VM users selected a VM they would receive the permission denied message even though they could continue working with the VMs. I ended up removing all the privileges from the roles and adding them back in. This seemed to have helped after the users logged out and back in. The DB upgrade process may have messed up some of the role information.

jason

0 Kudos
mike_laspina
Champion
Champion

Hello,

Seems to be a issue for many of us, check this post http://communities.vmware.com/message/889377

http://blog.laspina.ca/ vExpert 2009
0 Kudos
chalre
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you. Based on that thread, it looks like the fix will go in 2.5 Update 1. We will wait for that.

0 Kudos
oreeh
Immortal
Immortal

FYI: this thread has been moved to the VirtualCenter 2.x forum.

Oliver Reeh[/i]

[VMware Communities User Moderator|http://communities.vmware.com/docs/DOC-2444][/i]

0 Kudos