VMware Cloud Community
johnstonf
Contributor
Contributor

Error on upgrade to Virtual Infrastructure Client v2.5

I upgraded my VI Client (VIC) from v2.0.2.0 to v2.5.0.64207. I now get an error "VpxClient has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience".

My v2.0 is still there (but of course, when I connect with it, it forces me to upgrade, telling me the client is out of date. I downloaded the client from the button, installed it, and the problem came up).

The installation seemed to go fine.

Fred

0 Kudos
11 Replies
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal

rather than an upgrade - I would uninstall the 2.0 VIC and install a fresh 2.5 VI client - this obtainable by pointing a web browser either to your 3.5 ESX server or 2.5 VC server -

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
0 Kudos
williamarrata
Expert
Expert

John,

The correct way to do it is to, go to your Add/Remove in control panel and remove it completely. Then connect to your VC thru your internet browser. Download and Install it. Connect to your 2.5 VC, make sure that works and all plugins download and work also. Once thats out of the way, use the same one to connect to your 2.0.2 It will connect correctly.

Hope that helped. Smiley Happy

Hope that helped. 🙂
0 Kudos
johnstonf
Contributor
Contributor

I completely uninstalled ALL Virtual Infrastructure clients, then installed the 2.5 and it installed perfectly, but when I run it, i get the error again.

I also deleted the VmWare registry manually... same thing.

Fred

0 Kudos
kjb007
Immortal
Immortal

Check your vpx client logs to see if there are any errors. They should be located in %temp%/vpx, you can post it here as well I'm assuming you installed the client that was included in your vc install or was it your esx install?

-KjB

Message was edited by: kjb007 : changed vmware-temp to vpx

vExpert/VCP/VCAP vmwise.com / @vmwise -KjB
0 Kudos
johnstonf
Contributor
Contributor

Nothing useful that I can see... after trying and getting the error with v2.5, i went back to an old installer (v2.0.2.50618) and it installs and runs w/o the error. I have attached the logs that i have...

The vpx-client.exe that I run comes from the esx server (when 2.0 connects it downloads, i believe from esx server). I have tested the exe that downloads on another machine by copying to a usb key, and it installs and runs ok using that same file, so it appears to be a client issue... my notebook (very important, so i can't just trash it).

0 Kudos
kjb007
Immortal
Immortal

Have you upgraded your vc to 2.5 or your esx to 3.5? If not, then, yes, you should stay with the older client.

-KjB

0 Kudos
kjb007
Immortal
Immortal

That's strange. You should have a lot more info there. Can you look in another location for those logs:

C:\Documents and Settings\\Local Settings\Application Data\VMware\vpx

Are you getting this error right away, or after some time? Maybe the idle time?

-KjB

0 Kudos
johnstonf
Contributor
Contributor

both... thus the purpose of this exercise... funny thing is I can uninstall/install 2.0 all i want, and connect to an esx server directly that hasn't been upgraded yet. So 2.0 seems to work just fine, but 2.5 is being a real pain!

0 Kudos
johnstonf
Contributor
Contributor

under this vmware folder, there are no sub-folders, and just a file "hgfs.dat". it happens a few seconds after I run the icon, so it doesn't appear to even run.

0 Kudos
kjb007
Immortal
Immortal

If you have an older ESX, the older client will automatically be used for the older server. Hence, if you have a mixed env of both 3.0.x/3.5.x, then you will need both clients installed. Maybe that is where you are having a problem. The 2.5 client will not really replace the older client, it will create in a new file structure. Once you are all migrated to 3.5, you can remove the 2.0.x client.

-KjB

0 Kudos
johnstonf
Contributor
Contributor

Actually the 2.5 client works for both, and the normal path is to connect to the VmWare Virtual Center, which covers all servers. So if I can get to 2.5, which I REALLY need, as I can't talk to the VC using 2.0, then I can uninstall 2.0 and I'm laughing.

0 Kudos