VMware Cloud Community
Gonzouk
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Error importing OVA file

Hello,

I'm trying to import an OVA file and I get the error:

"A vCenter Server resource is missing or invalid.  Either the resource was modified while the operating system was running or the server is experiencing a general problem"

This OVA file is from Cisco, it's called Prime.  I had to install another OVA file from Cisco just now and that was fine.

Is it a resourse issue on the reource pool, not sure where to look.

Thanks

9 Replies
greco827
Expert
Expert

What version of vCenter, and are you using the C+ client or the web client?

If you find this or any other answer useful please mark the answer as correct or helpful https://communities.vmware.com/people/greco827/blog
0 Kudos
marayson
Contributor
Contributor

I'm seeing this same issue with vCenter 6 using the Web client (with IE11) trying to deploy Cisco's Prime Infrastructure 3.0 OVA file. It gives the error at the 2d stage after selecting the storage option, I'm using vSAN with a cluster.

0 Kudos
greco827
Expert
Expert

Have you tried with any other browsers or by using the C+ client?

Also, and separately, Cisco Prime and VSG are not good products.  Neither is the 1000v it relies on.

If you find this or any other answer useful please mark the answer as correct or helpful https://communities.vmware.com/people/greco827/blog
0 Kudos
RaviMV
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

tar xvf myfile.ova -C /home/USER

Above command extracts three file types:

-vmdk
-ovf
-mf

Then, from virtualbox  create a new virtual machine (important: if machine exported was 32bits, new machine should be 32bits, and if exported was 64bits then new machine should be 64bits). Finally attach the existing vmdk file instead of creating a new one and that's all. boot up the virtual machine and it works in my case.

Anyway, I must say that despite many people say virtualbox is the best, since a lot of time ago, virtualbox always has problems when performing export/import and I think Oracle should  work hard on it to try to solve it because If not many people maybe will change to the competitor: vmware. I am a bit tired, import/export with virtualbox is really a sh....

0 Kudos
KevinTunge
Contributor
Contributor

+1. I'm running into exactly the same thing, same OVA(Cisco Prime, version 3.0.0.0.78). Just ran into it, was out looking for solutions when I saw this post. So while I cannot help at this point, I just wanted to weigh in that I'm seeing exactly the same thing. I am attempting to deploy on a vSphere 6.0 (build 2776510) environment, via the web client on a Firefox version 43.0 browser. Just deployed 2 other Cisco OVF's seconds before this one, with no problems whatsoever. The error message is given when I reach the storage config screen. More updates as I'm able...

0 Kudos
TheRedshark
Contributor
Contributor

Had exactly the same problem using the web client, used the thick client and it worked!

0 Kudos
GladeCreek
Contributor
Contributor

The answer is to go back to the cluster selection screen, and instead of selecting the cluster as a whole, select a specific host with enough resources.  The deployment wizard doesn't seem to be able to automatically figure out the best host to deploy to.

nicebud
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Yes, same issue for me from prime infrastructure 3.0. but it works when I choose to import it on the esx server instead of the cluster. I assume this is because the ova have some ressource reservation that can't be made on the cluster but only on a specific esx server.

thank fo your help Galdecreek

0 Kudos
AKfromOz
Contributor
Contributor

I know this is really late for this post, but I experienced this today. I found it was because the ovf file had a hardware level higher than supported on esx 6.0 . look for a line like " <vssd:VirtualSystemType>vmx-13</vssd:VirtualSystemType>" in the ovf file and change the 13 to a lower No. I chose 11 and installation then worked perfectly.

0 Kudos