VMware Cloud Community
jasoncllsystems
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Error detected on esx01.xxx.com in DataCenter01: Agent unable to save configuration to disk: Error syncing firmware configuration: vim.fault.TooManyWrites

Hi,

Does anyone know what is this mean for?

Target: esx01.xxx.com

Stateless event alarm

Alarm Definition:

([Event alarm expression: Host error] OR [Event alarm expression: Host warning])

Event details:

Error detected on esx01.xxx.com

in DataCenter01: Agent unable to save configuration todisk: Error syncing firmware configuration: vim.fault.TooManyWrites

Noted:

vSphere ESXi 4.1

vCenter Server 4.1

http://www.malaysiavm.com
0 Kudos
14 Replies
jasoncllsystems
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Look like no one seen this problem before Smiley Sad

http://www.malaysiavm.com
0 Kudos
PatchAddams
Contributor
Contributor

I just had the same error on one of my ESXi hosts in a new vSphere 4.1 cluster:

Target: esx03

Stateless event alarm

Alarm Definition:

([Event alarm expression: Host error] OR [Event alarm expression: Host warning])

Event details:

Error detected on esx03 in xxxdatacenter: Agent unable to save configuration to disk: Error syncing firmware configuration: vim.fault.TooManyWrites

Host build is 4.1.0, 320137  (ESXi)

I got the message just after restarting the management agents of this host because I was experiencing a problem with a vMotion from this host to another one. (it got stuck on 82%)

No idea yet what this error means.

0 Kudos
RLsh
Contributor
Contributor

have you figured out the source of the problem?

we experience the same issue while doing Storage vMotion.

(ESXi 4.1 on HP 490 G7 host)

Thanks

0 Kudos
Lyle
Contributor
Contributor

I am also experiencing this.  I just loaded a new ESXi 4.1 host, added it to the cluster and some VMs migrate fine, others migrate, but they loose Network connectivity until I power off the affected VM and then power it back on.  The error I receive is "Agent unable to save configuration to disk: Error syncing firmware configuration: vim.fault.TooManyWrites".  I have attempted to reload the new host and that didn't help.  I rebuilt the VM configuration file from scratch and that fixed one, but didn't fix another.

I have had Windows 2008 R2 boxes that migrate fine and 2 that don't, I have Windows 2003 servers that migrate fine and one that doesn't, so I don't think it is OS dependante.

I am running this on 5 IBM 3550 M2 (7946) boxes and it only occurs when I migrate from one of the old systems to the new system.  I updated the Firmware on all boxes to the latest version.  Hardware is identical, so I just need to figure out why it happens to some, but not all the VMs.  The 4 existing boxes were loaded initially with 4.0 and then upgraded to 4.0 update 1, then to 4.1 so I am thinking something might not have upgraded correctly on the 4 existing boxes. So at this point I am leaning toward thinking it has something to do with the original ESXi host that it is migrating from, so I am planning on reloading that host next week when I get some down time.

Lyle

0 Kudos
kdon
Contributor
Contributor

I also received this error multiple times.  I too was doing storage vmotions at the time.  Two of them did fail half way through, but did end up finishing though?  I was converting them from thin disk to thick disk.

Did anyone ever figure out what this is/was, or the reasoning?  I assumed it was some hiccup..

0 Kudos
DSTAVERT
Immortal
Immortal

I could only guess from the message. Perhaps a very active VM being moved. Lack of network capacity. I would check with VMware Support.

-- David -- VMware Communities Moderator
0 Kudos
kdon
Contributor
Contributor

thanks DST - yea I am going with the lack of network capacity.  I did quite a few more and everything else was fine.

Thanks

0 Kudos
s1m0nb
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Any firm answers on this one?

0 Kudos
kdon
Contributor
Contributor

s1m0nb - No, I just chalked it up as too much going on at once with the LUN I was svmotioning with at the time.  It has never happened again to me.

0 Kudos
RS_1
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

We got this on DPM enabled cluster when hosts are entering standby...

0 Kudos
kiranchavan30
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi,

I'm also getting the same error, while configuring the HA cluster. Is there any solution found for this and this error is regarding to what?

regards,

KC

0 Kudos
ndelamotte
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

I have the same issue on 2 of my esxi on a 4 server farm.

The error is always on the two same server.

I have some deconnexion (false) on theses two server on the vcenter et they come back up alone after 1 or 2 minutes.

These server don't record daily data (on overviex direct performance, i can see data but in overview, I get no data available)

I don't understand why I don't have error on the 2 other esxi.

Could you help me?

Thank you very much

Best regards,

N Delamotte

0 Kudos
ndelamotte
Contributor
Contributor

on my  4 esxi cluster in vsphere 4.1, I reinstall and rename two of them.

before, I had esx1 and  esx4which where fine (never disconnected) but esx2 ans 3 disconnected 5 times an hour.

I reinstall the esx3 in esx103 and I got  no error.. Unfortunately, ESX 4 began to disconnect.

So, I reinstall esx4 in esx104 ans I got no errror on it. but the esx 1 began to disconect.

Now, I have esx1 and 2 that disconnects.

I think that the problem should come from the vsphere... But before reinstalling it, is there someone that can help me and give me some answers to my issues!

Thank you.

0 Kudos
bhwong7
Contributor
Contributor

I had the same problem before and found that one of our two harddisks is spoiled. We run as RAIDS mirroring, so it's ironic that it can still cause error despite the other harddisk is alright.

btw, when Dell replaced the harddisk with the same capacity, it was not able to rebuild the image until Dell replace it again with the same model. After that, there is no error.

0 Kudos