relliott
Contributor
Contributor

Error: Unable to Connect to Remote Server when attemping to download and install VMWare Converter Plugin

Jump to solution

Hello,

We are running a ESX 3.5/VC 2.5 Update 1 environment. The VC is in a Microsoft Cluster configuration. All functions of the VC are working fine and have been for months. When attempting to Download and Install the VMWare Converter Enterprise Plugin through the VC we receive this error "Unable to Connect to Remote Server". We have checked the VC and the VMWare converter service is running and is a resource in the Cluster configuration. Has anyone seen this before?

Thanks RE

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
EXPRESS
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Try doing a repair...

Thank you, Express

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
7 Replies
EXPRESS
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Not sure if its the same related problem like we just had, but every couple of days I would lose our Update Manager and a message would pop up stating that "Server Connection Invalid" - " Client plugin will be unloaded....."

We seemed to have fixed the problem by going to the add/remove and saw they were two installs of Update Manager Client, I removed both and re-did plugin now shows only one. You can give that a shot....

Good Luck.

Thank you, Express
0 Kudos
relliott
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for the response, checked that out and there is only one instant of converter and update manager installed. I get the same error when trying to install the plug in for Update Manager as well.

RE

0 Kudos
EXPRESS
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Try doing a repair...

Thank you, Express
0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Are the Vmware Converter and Update Manager services running?

Do you have multiple network interfaces on the VC server? If so, are Converter and UM listening on a different interface to VC?

You can check with netstat -anb

Login to the same PC where VC/Converter is running and launch the VI Client and install the plugins - do you get the same error?

relliott
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for the tip this led to the resolution. What the problem was, had to do with credentials. In a VC MS Clustered environment local account don't work so you must use domain accounts when accessing the VC from a VI Client. Converter had not been setup with the correct domain service account. Once this was done logged into the VC with my domain account but still got the same error, logged back out and back into the VI Client with the Domain Service account and was able to then install and enable the plugin. Logged back out og VC and back in as my domain account and now converter works with my Domain Account.

0 Kudos
relliott
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for the tip. What the problem was, had to do with credentials. In a VC MS Clustered environment local account don't work so you must use domain accounts when accessing the VC from a VI Client. Converter had not been setup with the correct domain service account. Once this was done logged into the VC with my domain account but still got the same error, logged back out and back into the VI Client with the Domain Service account and was able to then install and enable the plugin. Logged back out og VC and back in as my domain account and now converter works with my Domain Account.

0 Kudos
TiBoReR
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Here, I had the same problem and it was cause VirusScan from McAfee was running on VirtualCenter. I disabled it and it started working.

0 Kudos