VMware Cloud Community
michaelb23
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Error Message After VC 2.5 update1

Hello Everyone,

I upgraded my ESX 3.5 to the latest "Update 1" level last week. Since then I have been unable to get the VI Client to run stable. I normally receive the error message "The process cannot access the file 'C:\documents and settings\brownm\Local Settings\Application Data\VMware\vpx\viclient-#.log' because it is being used by another process". I have uninstalled the VI client with hopes that a reinstall would correct the issue and it has not. I also installed the VI client from both the ESX servers (build 81946) and the VC server (build 84767). Both installations give the same message. I have attached a screen shot of the error.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
BryanMcC
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Since this seems to be a problem on your workstation and the logs are in your local profile....

1. Have you rebooted your workstation to see if it helps

2. How about logging into your machine as another user.. Do you still get this problem (I mean the logs it is complaining about are in your profile)

Not sure what extra steps are needed for a "full" uninstall but the above could help pinpoint.

Help me help you by scoring points.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
10 Replies
BryanMcC
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Have you tried rebooting the computer that is running the VI-Client.. If the problem persists after reboot run the process explorer utility linked below and it should tell you what is using the file.

0 Kudos
michaelb23
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Restarting the VC did not help in this case. I loaded the utility mentioned and another utility called "FileMon.exe". Neither showed another process using the log file except the VpxClient.exe process. I have attached another screenshot that shows a "general" error I am also receiving from the VI Client. I don't know if the two are connected.

0 Kudos
BryanMcC
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

There is a thread in the forums that talks about using the old 2.5 VI Client to connect to VC 2.5 U1.. Have you tried uninstalling and resinalling the old client.. Also from what I read the error seems to be appearing on the VC server when lauching the VI Client.. Have you tried installing the VI client on a workstation and using it?

Assumiing that this is the VC server you are working on.

michaelb23
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Sorry. Yes i have also restarted the computer running the VI-Client many times with no change in the error message or frequency of the error.

0 Kudos
BryanMcC
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Please read through this thread and hopefully you find some help.. Always be weary of upgrading to the latest version before watching this forum closely.. There will usually be a thread like this started up after a release. I always wait until things quiet down even before downloading the upgrades as with the previous ESX3.5 release vmware has been known to RTW updates that have not been GAed and end up posting a GAed version afterward.

And they used to be so good with their updates Smiley Sad

0 Kudos
michaelb23
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks for the updates and helping me "Brainstorm". :smileyblush: Here is what I have found out.

1. I have been running the VI-Client from my workstation and that is where I have been getting the errors.

2. Uninstalling and Re-Installing the different builds did not correct the problem. (See earlier post)

3. Running the VI-Client from the VC has not experienced any problems/issues.

Since this now seems to be a problem with my workstation are there any procedures for completely uninstalling the VI-Client from a workstation (reg keys, left over directories, dll's, etc...)

0 Kudos
BryanMcC
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Since this seems to be a problem on your workstation and the logs are in your local profile....

1. Have you rebooted your workstation to see if it helps

2. How about logging into your machine as another user.. Do you still get this problem (I mean the logs it is complaining about are in your profile)

Not sure what extra steps are needed for a "full" uninstall but the above could help pinpoint.

0 Kudos
michaelb23
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I think I have the issue resolved. I uninstalled the VI-Client, the Update Manager Plugin, and the Converter Plugin. I then removed the VMware folders from my workstation and reinstalled the software from scratch. I have been using now for about 30 minutes and NO CRASHES. :smileyblush:

I suppose the upgrade from the previous version did not work properly and was causing the issue.

0 Kudos
Subatomic
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hello Michael,

I've also had the same experience.

http://communities.vmware.com/message/952515

I've found unticking eh Update Manager Plugin makes the client more stable. I've so far not managed to raise a support call with VMware.

If the comments were useful, please consider awarding points for helpful or correct. Thanks - SA -
0 Kudos
axay
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Plese send me the link for downloding

vmware infrastructure client for windows XP

Thanx

0 Kudos