VMware Cloud Community
VMdawg
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Error Connecting to Host in VC

I am getting an intermittent error when I click the console tab on a host in virtual center:

Error connecting: Cannot connect to host : A connection attempt failed because the connected party did not properly respond after a period of time, or established connection failed because connected host has failed to respond-Do you want to try again?

Has anyone seen this and/or know of the cause/fix?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
mpowis
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I just had the same problem.

The SC Port on one of the ESX servers didn't have a default gateway and no matter what I did it wouldn't keep one either.

In the end I had to recreate the SC port at which time it kept all the settings and the Console started to work

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
18 Replies
cheeko
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

restart the mgmt daemon on the ESX host console and try again:

service mgmt-vmware restart

0 Kudos
VMdawg
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Have you experienced this same issue or are you just throwing out ideas?

0 Kudos
VMKR9
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

I think I have seen this before and it was a network routing issue, do a tracert on it and compare to one of your working hosts...

0 Kudos
cheeko
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

I experienced the same issue before. Beside that it doesn't hurt to restart this service, so imho it should be one of the first things to try if you can connect directly to the host.

0 Kudos
masaki
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

Did you try both with ip address and server name?

as said:

tracert ipaddress

check name's resolution

check routing (do you use multiple adapters?)

0 Kudos
mpowis
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I just had the same problem.

The SC Port on one of the ESX servers didn't have a default gateway and no matter what I did it wouldn't keep one either.

In the end I had to recreate the SC port at which time it kept all the settings and the Console started to work

0 Kudos
VMdawg
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

What does "SC" stand for...Service Console?

0 Kudos
mpowis
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Sorry, Yes. Too much typing this evening and got lazy!

0 Kudos
VMdawg
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

What's the best way to check that, through the config tab on the host in VC, or directly from root?

0 Kudos
mpowis
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I used the Client. Server, Config Tab, Networking and Properties of your vSwitch which has the SC. You should then be able to edit the SC port itself.

masaki
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

from root session type:

esxcfg-vswif -l

gives you sc parameters

esxcfg-vswitch -l

gives you vswitch details (port groups, and pnic)

0 Kudos
pnagwekar
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Subnet Mask on service console was set incorrectly in my case. It started working as soon as I fixed it.

To change the network parameter, please open the following file and restart network service

vi /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-vswif0

service network restart

-Parag

0 Kudos
azn2kew
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

I go the same problem as described below but no fix anyone has any ideas. My traceroute ouput:

C:\>tracert srvesx02

Tracing route to srvesx02

over a maximum of 30 hops:

1 <1 ms <1 ms <1 ms ltm31.domain.com
2 <1 ms <1 ms <1 ms lts09-pt-ch4.domain.com

3 <1 ms <1 ms <1 ms lts01.domain.com \[170.186.131.1]
4 * * * Request timed out.
5 * * * Request timed out.
6 * * * Request timed out.
7 * * * Request timed out.
8 ^C
C:\>

service mgmt-vmware restart doesn't harm anything? This is production clusters. Will the VMs will be vmotion and bring it back live seamlessly?

If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful". Thanks!!! Regards, Stefan Nguyen VMware vExpert 2009 iGeek Systems Inc. VMware vExpert, VCP 3 & 4, VSP, VTSP, CCA, CCEA, CCNA, MCSA, EMCSE, EMCISA
0 Kudos
dhilipanand
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

There is a bug in 3.x and it is resolved in 3.5 with proper error message

Bug in 3.x:

If there is a Virtual Instance running in ESX Server, from the virtual instance if you try to connect the same esx through VI Client, you will get this error and also the virtual instance network connection will go down.

Solution:

Avoid connecting to ESX Server through the virtual instance which is running on same ESX Server

0 Kudos
mo21384
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Even I had the same issue, added the Gateway to service console. found working fine. Thanks mpowis

0 Kudos
alansyu
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I'm having the same issue as initially reported. However I can't remotely access the ESX server w/ the entry GATEWAYDEV=vswif0 active. I need to comment it out before I can access the ESX server...anyone seen that?

0 Kudos
vishuadapa
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Adding default gateway info to the service console fixed my issue.

0 Kudos
GarretGillespie
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

We switched to a new firewall and lost console connectivity. Restarting the daemon worked for me. I SSHed into both my hosts and ran "service mgmt-vmware restart" then checked the consoles again and they are up and running. Thanks for the help.

0 Kudos