VMware Cloud Community
hellraiser
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Error 25085 when instaling Update Manager on vCenter 4.1 - why?

Hi,

I'm rolling out vCenter 4.1 on a Windows 2008 R2 box - I have used the migration tool to migrate my settings from my old 32-bit box, copied the folder across and run the install on my new 64-bit box. vCenter installs fine, but it freaks out when it comes to installing the update manager, giving me "Error 25085.Setup failed to register VMware vCenter Update Manager extension to VMware vcenter Server:10.170.210.68."

Everything looks fine in the vminst.log file till it gets to here:-

VMware Update Manager-build-256596: 07/26/10 13:10:29 -

Begin Logging -

VMware Update Manager-build-256596: 07/26/10 13:10:29 --- CA exec: VMRegisterExtension

VMware Update Manager-build-256596: 07/26/10 13:10:29 INFO: Reg/UnReg extn command: ["-v 10.170.210.68 -p 80 -U "coop\vmwarevcr" -P *** -S "C:\Program Files (x86)\VMware\Infrastructure\Update Manager\extension.xml" -C "C:\Program Files (x86)\VMware\Infrastructure\Update Manager
" -L "C:\Users\VMWARE~1\AppData\Local\Temp
" -O extupdate"]

VMware Update Manager-build-256596: 07/26/10 13:10:29 AppendPath::done Path: C:\Program Files (x86)\VMware\Infrastructure\Update Manager\vciInstallUtils.exe

VMware Update Manager-build-256596: 07/26/10 13:10:29 Found "C:\Program Files (x86)\VMware\Infrastructure\Update Manager\vciInstallUtils.exe"

VMware Update Manager-build-256596: 07/26/10 13:10:38 Process returned 199

VMware Update Manager-build-256596: 07/26/10 13:10:38 Error:: Unknown VC error

VMware Update Manager-build-256596: 07/26/10 13:10:38 ERROR: VUM registeration with VC failed

VMware Update Manager-build-256596: 07/26/10 13:10:38 Posting error message 25085

VMware Update Manager-build-256596: 07/26/10 13:11:11 MsiProcessMessage returned: 1

If I try to manually enter the command line to register the extension, this is what I get :-

D:\dm>"C:\Program Files (x86)\VMware\Infrastructure\Update Manager\vciInstallUtils.exe" -v 10.170.210.68 -p 80 -U "coop\vmwarevcr" -

P *** -S "C:\Program Files (x86)\VMware\Infrastructure\Update Manager\extension.xml" -C "C:\Program Files (x86)\VMware\Infrastructur

e\Update Manager
" -L "C:\Users\VMWARE~1\AppData\Local\Temp
" -O extupdate

Current working directory: D:\dm

Using system libcrypto, version 9080CF

Vmacore::InitSSL: doVersionCheck = true, handshakeTimeoutUs = 120000000

Product = VMware Update Manager, Version = 4.1.0, Build = 256596

Successfully configured logger

command line arguments:

argv 0 = C:\Program Files (x86)\VMware\Infrastructure\Update Manager\vciInstallUtils.exe

argv 1 = -v

argv 2 = 10.170.210.68

argv 3 = -p

argv 4 = 80

argv 5 = -U

argv 6 = coop\vmwarevcr

argv 7 = -P

argv 8 = xxxx(user password)

argv 9 = -S

argv 10 = C:\Program Files (x86)\VMware\Infrastructure\Update Manager\extension.xml

argv 11 = -C

argv 12 = C:\Program Files (x86)\VMware\Infrastructure\Update Manager\

argv 13 = -L

argv 14 = C:\Users\VMWARE~1\AppData\Local\Temp\

argv 15 = -O

argv 16 = extupdate

op name = extupdate

logging into vc.

host = 10.170.210.68, port = 80, user = coop\vmwar

evcr

Set the current working directory to: C:/Program Fi

les (x86)/VMware/Infrastructure/Update Manager/

Product = VMware Update Manager, Version = 4.1.0, Build = 256596

VC server URL: http://10.170.210.68:80

Connecting to host 10.170.210.68 on port 80 using protocol http

SSLVerifyCertAgainstSystemStore: The remote host certificate has these problems:

• The host certificate chain is not complete.

SSLVerifyIsEnabled: failed to read registry value. Falling back to default behavior:

verification off. LastError = 0

SSLVerifyCertAgainstSystemStore: Certificate verification is disabled, so connection

will proceed despite the error

SSLVerifyCertAgainstSystemStore: The remote host certificate has these problems:

SSLVerifyIsEnabled: failed to read registry value. Falling back to default behavior:

SSLVerifyCertAgainstSystemStore: Certificate verification is disabled, so connection

Authenticating user coop\vmwarevcr

[2010-07-26 13:32:39.053 01756 info 'vmomi.soapStub Resetting stub adapter for server TCP:10.170.210.68:80 : Closed

InvalidLogin error: coop\vmwarevcr

The extension registration failed

Register extension failed 86

I don't understand! The vmwarevcr account is a domain account under which the vCenter server runs, I am logged on as that user and it uses that particular account to talk to the database as well, it is also a local admin on the vCenter server. Any ideas?

JD

CompTIA A+ Network+

vmware VCP 3

JD
0 Kudos
4 Replies
FranckRookie
Leadership
Leadership

Hi Hellraiser,

Take care not to have any semicolon character in your password.

Good luck

Franck

0 Kudos
hellraiser
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Already checked - I've dropped it to 8 characters with upper and lower case and numbers, no non-alphanumeric characters but it still falls over with the same error.

Thanks anyway Smiley Wink

JD

CompTIA A+ Network+

vmware VCP 3

JD
0 Kudos
RParker
Immortal
Immortal

Check the logs, if it says "invalid user or password" obviously that's not right, since you know the password.

I was working on this last week, it finally took me a reinstall of vCenter to figure it out.

There is a certificate in
atlesxcons\c$\ProgramData\VMware\VMware VirtualCenter\SSL. Uninstall vCenter

Don't worry ALL of the settings and data for vCenter is in the database.

Delete the vCenter folder (the entire contents of
atlesxcons\c$\ProgramData\VMware\VMware VirtualCenter) or MOVE it someplace else if that will make you feel better.

Then reinstall vCenter. Maybe you can simply delete the SSL folder contents, and reinstall, but it took me several hours to get this far and I was almost ready to format the drive and start completely over, but this worked to delete the folder. If vCenter install sees the existing folder, it will reuse the SSL certificates... so it's caching the user name / password.

Let me know if it works for you.

0 Kudos
RickMRA
Contributor
Contributor

Guys, i found a solution to the 25085 error..

Follow this thread:

http://communities.vmware.com/message/1588199#1588199

You have to use ADSI Edit (Start Menu)

Connect to localhost DN=dc=virtualcenter,dc=vmware,dc=int

Goto OU=Health OU=ComponentSpec CN=RANDOM STRING

Create a container called CN=com.vmware.vcIntegrity

Hope this helps

0 Kudos