VMware Cloud Community
rsxsr
Contributor
Contributor

Error 25085; Warning 25015 and Error 25089; Warning 25038 VMware Update Manager and VMware Convertor Enterprise

I have tried several attempts from scratch to install the current virtual server client. It is kicking me in the butt. Originally I tried to point the install to our 2005 SQL server, but ran into so many warnings, I aborted those attempts and opted for the shipped desktop SQL. I can not get past the two problems in the subject as they relate to Update Manager and Convertor Enterprise. I am only evaluating at this time. All I could find was information related to the log in password. My admin password is fine. I have tried the root account as well. All I really wanted to do was to try and make some templates of virtual machines and if I get beyond that try imaging existing servers. This community seems to be the only place I can find the answers to the problems that come up. One thing I should mention, is the directions I downloaded for installing Virtual Server Center had me install it on a virtual machine running on my ESX 3.5 server. All the jpgs I have seen show the Virtual server center running on an independent hardware box. Could this be the problem? I have VMWare client running on my XP pro workstation, can I install the Virtual server Center software on it instead? I don't have an spare servers. The reason for evaluating VM ware is to replace two servers that died in the last month. I have a couple others of the same vintage, that may not be far behind. If I posted in the wrong area, I appologize. Regards mark

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
7 Replies
kjb007
Immortal
Immortal

Are you having problems with just the update manager and convertor? Did virtual center install correctly? Is there a vmware virtual center server service in services manager?

-KjB

vExpert/VCP/VCAP vmwise.com / @vmwise -KjB
rsxsr
Contributor
Contributor

Good question about the service. That was the one place I did not check. I have reverted back to an earlier snapshot to try again. I am downloading the iso image to try. I found someone who had a problem with the zip file. When I did rerun setup it appeared that the virtual client and virtual server did install according to setup, but I could not find an icon to launch the server program only the client which I also have on my workstation already. I was expecting if not to see a program, to have more options than what the client has. I clicked on everything in the client, but all appears the same. When you run setup it asks you for an account and password. I have tried each combination. Root, administrator and a network service account. I see the software communicates on port 443, which should be open. I did try to go to the web interface and accepted the prompt for the ssl error. Should I be using a seperate hardware server rather than a virtual machine? Is there an account associated with the virtual server service? Should I do a custom install, install only the client and server part, verify the service and then rerun setup to add the additional components? Thank you for your help. Regards, mark

0 Kudos
kjb007
Immortal
Immortal

When you perform the install the first time, you have to provide an admin account to the windows OS on which you are installing. The virtual center service will then install and will run as local system. After that, you should be able to use the same account you used for the install for convert/update manager.

There is no icon to launch the server, it runs as a service, so it will show up in the services manager. I can't speak to the zip file, as I always use the iso myself.

If you're having trouble with the components, I would definitely use the custom isntall, and only install one components, converter or update manager, at a time.

I use a virtual machine for my environment for all of those things, and don't think that is your problem. Also, when you run the install, there should be some install temp files generated under %temp%, when you're logged onto the virtual center machine doing the install. Check those for more info.

-KjB

rsxsr
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you. I chose a custom install this time and did only the client and server. Installed without a hitch. I did as you suggested and checked for the virtual server service and it is present, set to automatic and is running. The virtual client still does not have any of the bells and whistles I was expecting. I used the iso image this time. I guess the question is now should I continue with installing the other two options? In the end, I need to be able to clone or create templates of existing virtual servers and I'd like the option to clone some of our older standalone hardware servers. I realize this software is a large investment, but over all would save money and labor as our existing servers live out their useful life. I can go ahead and attempt installing another feature as suggested and see. This particular Virtual server is a member server of my domain and I am logged in as the network administrator running the setup programs. If prompted, from your previous notes, I should use that log in, not the root login of the ESX host? Should I used domain\administrator? As a rule, I don't need to do that in a Windows environment. Any additional info would be helpful. Following the manual, I should by doing sysprep by now. That seems a ways away at this point. Regards Mark

0 Kudos
kjb007
Immortal
Immortal

Correct, since this install is connecting to virtual center, you have to provide the windows credentials you used for the vc install. By default, when you install virtual center, the windows administrators group is given the administrator role inside of virtual center. So, you need to provide an account that has admin privilege on the host, which in turn has administrator role in virtual center.

I would continue on to install the convertor enterprise. If you have virtual center installed, then you have the ability to clone and create templates already. Convertor will allow you to perform a physical to virtual conversion of your existing physical windows machines, but is not helping you with templates at this point.

The only time you need to provide root account is when you register your ESX host with virtual center. That is when virtual center needs to talk to ESX, so it needs ESX credentials, which would be root.

-KjB

0 Kudos
rsxsr
Contributor
Contributor

Ok, had a night to think about it and try again. For anyone reading this, here is what I found. Installing the Virtual Center Server and Client don't seem to ask for a log in and it does work on a virtual server machine on our ESX host. Installing Update Manager and Convertor require a user account. This ended up being the Local administrator account, not the network administrator account or the root account of the ESX server. This is in an Windows 2003 Active directory domain. Second, to connect to the Virtual Server Center, it seems to work best if you connect using the Virtual Client on your workstation, but rather than use the IP address of the ESX host, use the IP address of your newly installed Virtual Server Center server. It also requires the "local" administrator log in and password to connect. This will connect you to the Server Center with the additional options asked about above. Also as mentioned, installing the Virtual Center using Custom is a better way to go. Do the client and server first and then verify that the virtual server service is installed and running from the services msc. I think if any developers from VMware read this, you are doing yourselves a disservice by naming all your products with too similar names. For someone new evaluating VMware, It is too confusing having all the products with similar names. KJB, thank you for your assistance and patience. mark

0 Kudos
Roysan
Contributor
Contributor

I have the same problem as you, thanks for the information. The Installation Instructions are not clear enough. I don't recall it saying to use the Windows Admin account. By Install died installing the Update Manager and Converter Enterprise.

VIC v2.5.0,147704 VirtualCenter v2.5.0,147633 ESX Servers v3.5.0,199239 No SAN 😞
0 Kudos