VMware Cloud Community
mgaston
Contributor
Contributor

Error 1920 installing VMware Licensing Server on Windows 2008 x64

I recently (yesterday) upgraded Virtual Center 2.5 to vCenter 4.0. Since I still have ESX 3.5 U4 hosts in my DRS cluster I still need the licensing service.

When I try to install the licensing server on the new vCenter 4.0 server I get an error during setup.

The error is: Error 1920.Service VMware License Server (VMware License Server) failed to start. Verify that you have sufficient privileges to start system services.

I am a local administrator on the server and ran the setup using the "Run as Administrator" option.

My server is Window 2008 Enterprise Edition x64 with SP2.

License Server Build is 2.5.0.64192.

Has anyone else experienced this? Any resolution?

0 Kudos
22 Replies
mgaston
Contributor
Contributor

Okay, nevermind. After searching for several hours I finally decided to post a question and wouldn't you know it after I post the question I find the answer in another post.

Need to download latest VC2.5 iso or zip file and run the vmware-licenseserver.exe from there. It's a different version that the one that you download separately.

This version worked for me: 2.5.0.6427

0 Kudos
R_P1
Contributor
Contributor

Even i had the same problem , after reading this article i was able solve the problem !

It works

0 Kudos
rocker77
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Can I use VMware Licence server on x64 OS without worries?! I am planning clean installation VSphere vCenter server and I have several ESX 3.5 hosts too. First possibility is left licence server running on old VC server or the second is install only licence server on new x64 VSphere vCenter server.

Thanks for your experiences!!

0 Kudos
mgaston
Contributor
Contributor

I have had my License Server up and running on a 64-bit OS for several weeks now with no issues. It's running on the same server as vSphere vCenter server.

0 Kudos
bnk
Contributor
Contributor

I have downloaded the newest VirtualCenter 2.5 and now the installation of License Server succeeded.

When I try to change License Server on my esx 3.5 server to the new License Server on vCenter 4.0 it says:

Unable to change license state as the license server is not available.

Is there anything else I need to configure?

0 Kudos
bnk
Contributor
Contributor

Ups... the firewall blocked it Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
rocker77
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I'm planning the same design.

Thanks for reply.

0 Kudos
Aidaca
Contributor
Contributor

I have reinstalled the license server (Build 2.5.0.64247) as I too am attempting to manage 3.5 ESX boxes using 4.0 server running on Windows 2008 64 bit.

When I attempt to point to the license server I get an error stating that the licensing server does not include vCenter agent for ESX Server. Upgrade the licenses on the license server.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

0 Kudos
rocker77
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I don't fully understand your question. You have 64bit server with vCenter Server 4 and you install License server from vCenter Server 2.5 CD?

0 Kudos
Aidaca
Contributor
Contributor

That is correct.

I get the error message when attempting to add the license server to the vCenter Server Settings.

0 Kudos
rocker77
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

It's strange becouse service is running on the same server and therefore there shouldn't be any issues with firewall etc. I set FQDN a vCenter change name to this format: 27000@servername.

Is it possible to use License server GUI tool (re-read license, start/stop service)?

0 Kudos
Aidaca
Contributor
Contributor

Turns out it was a license file issue. Rebuilding using the license file on my 2008 Server was not creating the same license file attributes as the old license on a 2003 Server. I copied the license file to the Server 2008 box and all is well, except for the firewall rules.

I now need to know what has to be configured on the Server 2008 firewall to allow the licensing server to function.

0 Kudos
Aidaca
Contributor
Contributor

Noticed another post that suggested port 27010 as well as 27000.

I'm good to go.

Thanks!

0 Kudos
slickshoes
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

yeah i just put it on server 2008 r2. needed to use the license manager for 3.5 U4 ISO and not the standalone. Also had to open 27000 and 27010 inbound and outbound

0 Kudos
tokishoki
Contributor
Contributor

Pls, link for version 2.5.0.6427

Thanks!

0 Kudos
Sanktuary
Contributor
Contributor

as first

yes it works on x64 2k8 Server

on R2 i dont know.

as second if you cant beleve the Lic Server witch you can download directly on Vmware Page has a problem?!! -> Beleve it.

Download the VC2.5 Source and use the lic file from the vpx Folder.

I had only the u3 ver of the VC2.5 and it works anyway.....

so try to download and install first that vers of lic server ^^

Thanks.

VM Should correct his bug on the VM Server ver....

0 Kudos
Malce30
Contributor
Contributor

Using the exe from the 3.5 U4 iso worked for me too... thanks guys Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
kcampbell
Contributor
Contributor

worked for me! All due to this posting many thanks - I'm on w2k8R2_Ent and the build mentioned here pulled from a vc2.5 iso i just downloaded from vmware site, fared out beautifully for my 3.5u4 hosts managed by vcenter4.

0 Kudos
Sanktuary
Contributor
Contributor

Op

0 Kudos