VMware Cloud Community
vmproteau
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Enhanced VMotion Compatibility (EVC) baseline change

If I understand this correctly, to change to the baseline involves making sure all the Hosts in the Cluster support the baseline and then just selecting it. I also understand that for a VM to take advantage of the new baseline, it needs to be powered down completely.

We are building out a new datacenter and I have a migration scenerio related to EVC baselines I'd like to verify. Our source datacenter is at an "Intel® Xeon® Core™2 ("Merom")" baseline. Our new datacenter will be able to support an "Intel® Xeon® 32nm Core™ i7 ("Westmere")" baseline.

Our migration strategy will involve a combination of Doubletake and Veeam replication. I wanted to make sure that there are no issues with respect to this EVC baseline jump. I also want use this oppurtunity to make sure all VMs immediately begin to take advantage of the increaed instruction sets.

My assumption is when the cutover happens and the destination VM is powered on, the VM will immediately run under the new EVC profile without any issues. This jump will be substantial enough that I wanted to make sure there were no known issues or special precautions to take with this type of change.

0 Kudos
1 Reply
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal

Your assumption is correct - when the VM powers on it will take on the masking of the EVC settings - 

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
0 Kudos