VMware Cloud Community
mellerbeck
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Enabling EVC mode with Intel Xeon CPU E7-2850

So I have an old server that is a IBM 3850 with an Intel Xeon E7320 running ESX 4.0 U4

We recently bought a new server an IBM 3690 with an Intel Xeon E7-2850 and installed ESX 4.0 U4

I have a vcenter server running vcenter 5.0

I created a cluster and enabled EVC with the Intel "Merom" Gen. (Xeon Core 2) This appears to apply fine when I go to the summary screens of both hosts, but when I boot a Virtual Machine on the x3690 when I look at the EVC mode: it says Intel "Westmere" Gen. (Xeon 32nm)

Am I doing something incorrectly, or maybe this setup won't work with ESX version 4.0?

0 Kudos
3 Replies
MauroBonder
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Your virtual machine will works based on lower mask of processor, in this case if you check here http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?language=en_US&cmd=displayKC&externalId=100321... is  Intel® "Westmere" Generation to 28xx Series

if you check virtual machine running on other model of host you probably will see Intel® "Merom"Generation, confirm ?

*Please, don't forget the awarding points for "helpful" and/or "correct" answers. *Por favor, não esqueça de atribuir os pontos se a resposta foi útil ou resolveu o problema.* Thank you/Obrigado
mellerbeck
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Yes both hosts show "Merom" on the EVC mode, and a VM machine running on the older box shows "Merom" on the EVC. I can even vmotion from the old box to the new box just fine, but as soon as it gets on the 'new' box it changes the EVC mode to Intel® "Westmere" Generation on the VM and I can't vmotion it back. As well as if I start a VM on the 'new' box it gets an EVC mode of Intel "Westmere" right off.

I do see the 28xx Series on the chart and appears to be supported.

0 Kudos
mellerbeck
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Ahh, you are a genius!

http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?cmd=displayKC&docType=kc&docTypeID=DT_KB_1_1&e...

That link of yours just happened to mention

For E7 Series Processors require ESX/ESXi 4.1 Update 1 later. For more information, see Only one way migrations appear to function in an EVC cluster (2001373)

I think that is the problem!

Thanks for your time!

0 Kudos