VMware Cloud Community
Vijay2027
Expert
Expert

Enable vCHA across two vC instances in linked mode

Hi All,

Is it possible to enable vCHA across two vC instances in linked mode?

Active node o 1 vc instance, Passive and Witness on other vc instance.

Let me know your thoughts. Thank  you.

Best Regards,

Vijay

0 Kudos
3 Replies
harry89
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

hello vijay ,

Vcha is functionality for the replication amonh the vcenter filesystem and the vpostgres database .

when we create vcha , passive node is exact replica of our VC and witness node is needed to establish a quorum .

Now when you say VC in linked mode thats means the vmdir is same across for both vcenters (same sso domain ) thats is when linked mode comes

For your question here answer will be no those linked mode VC are not same VC's they are 2 different VC with different database .

They are together in linked mode because the vmdir information they share or SSO information they share is same

Cheers !!

Harry
VCIX-DCV6.5 ,VCIX-NV6 , VCAP-CMA7
Mark answer as correct/helpful if it solves your query
0 Kudos
Vijay2027
Expert
Expert

That wasn't my question.

Here is what I wanted to know,

For example say I have 2 EMB-VC's in linked mode VC-1 and VC-2.

On VC-1 when I enable vCenter HA using advanced option is it possible to place VC-1-passive and VC-1 Witness on VC-2 instance?

0 Kudos
harry89
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi Vijay ,

That can be achieved , when you clone the VM as passive node and witness node, it gives you option where in you want to place the nodes . You can choose the ESXi hosts on other vCenter , which is in linked mode.

Here below you can see the option to place the nodes on other VC

pastedImage_0.png                 pastedImage_1.png

For VCHA functionality you need ensure the network connectivity on management traffic and heartbeat is present  .

Up to 10 ms latency is acceptable .

Cheers!

Harry
VCIX-DCV6.5 ,VCIX-NV6 , VCAP-CMA7
Mark answer as correct/helpful if it solves your query