VMware Cloud Community
omerqehc
Contributor
Contributor

Email notification using Google account "gmail"

I tried to configure VCenter server 6 to send email notification using gmail account, but unfortunately can not send email as shown below

pastedImage_0.png

May any one  have solution for that?

0 Kudos
6 Replies
batuhandemirdal
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi,

Incoming Mail (IMAP) Server

I imap.gmail.co

Require SSL: Yes

Connection point: 993

Outgoing Mail (SMTP) Server

I smtp.gmail.co

Require SSL: Yes

Requires TLS: Yes (if any)

Requires authentication: Yes

SSL Port: 465

TLS / STARTTLS Port: 587

Your Full Name or Display Name

Account Name, User Name or E-mail address Full e-mail address

Password Gmail is free

Are we tested this way?

0 Kudos
omerqehc
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you for your kind reply.

Can I know where can I enter these parameters in VCentr 6?

0 Kudos
kjdfhaueiase
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

If you haven't figured it out yet, you can't.

Seems like the only way today to do this is with a dangerous open SMTP server- pretty big fail on vmware's part.

0 Kudos
Alex_Romeo
Leadership
Leadership

0 Kudos
kjdfhaueiase
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I almost feel like you're trying to torment other users by posting the same erroneous information, so I'll un-torment them.

The gmail settings above are useless unless you know where to type them. They are buried in "Advanced Settings".

There is an interface for typing the settings by "key" (they are key/value pairs); however, the interface is broken so you will have to scroll to page 65. Not kidding.

Here is how to get to the advanced settings, from the html5 client:

1) from the template or cluster views, select the vcenter on the left hand side. This allows you to enter vcenter settings such as email.
2) On the left, after you have entered the email server in the General settings,  click "Advanced Settings".

3) On the top right click the box that says "edit settings" (on my browser this is displaying over a couple other words so don't freak out if you see that)

4) There are 70 pages of settings today. Click the number 70, and then click the left arrow a few times to find the mail settings on page 65. (even this is not easy as the left arrow will keep moving with each scroll).
5) Here you can adjust the port, password, and user name for the email sends using gmail settings above or other ones.

These are the settings:

mail.smtp.password

mail.smtp.port

mail.smtp.username

In my screen shot you can see where I tried to type the key "mail.smtp.password" and failed.

Enjoy.

Screen Shot 2020-02-21 at 12.30.56 PM.png

0 Kudos
Contributor
Contributor

Hi all,
I'm trying to set up alerts on vmware (vcenter 6) using Gmail account.

anyone could configure that? It's impossible? if so, there is any plan B to solve this? It's urgent.
Thanks,
Rodrigo.

Tags (1)
0 Kudos