VMware Cloud Community
huwy
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

EVC question

Hello,

We have a 3 node cluster where the (blade) hosts have Intel Xeon E5-2630 v4 - Broadwell CPUs

We can only now buy blade servers with Skylake processors.

I just wanted to check, we will be able to add a SkyLake host into the existing EVC cluster?

Can anyone confirm that it is ok to do this - I thought not, but the below says that it is compatible?

Thanks for any advice,

Al

pastedImage_0.png

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
IRIX201110141
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

Yes its supportet and will work. We running a Cluster with IvyBridge, Haswell, Broadwell and new Skylake CPUs. As long as the new CPU doesnt comes with less or a missing CPU feature compared to the old one you always will be fine. This is true for the standard XEONs. The older X7 and others a different.

You should take a look to the Spectre/Meltdown patches which adds CPU features.

In my long time i only see it one time that EVC cant help because AMD dropped 3DNOW years ago in their newer CPU. Shutdown and maybe unmasking a feature for the old hosts was not an option for that customer.

Regards,

Joerg

View solution in original post

3 Replies
SupreetK
Commander
Commander
Jump to solution

Yes, looks like you will be able to add the Skylake hosts to the existing Broadwell-EVC cluster -

pastedImage_0.png

VMware Knowledge Base

Please consider marking this answer as "correct" or "helpful" if you think your questions have been answered.

Cheers,

Supreet

IRIX201110141
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

Yes its supportet and will work. We running a Cluster with IvyBridge, Haswell, Broadwell and new Skylake CPUs. As long as the new CPU doesnt comes with less or a missing CPU feature compared to the old one you always will be fine. This is true for the standard XEONs. The older X7 and others a different.

You should take a look to the Spectre/Meltdown patches which adds CPU features.

In my long time i only see it one time that EVC cant help because AMD dropped 3DNOW years ago in their newer CPU. Shutdown and maybe unmasking a feature for the old hosts was not an option for that customer.

Regards,

Joerg

HassanAlKak88
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Hello,

Noting that it seems supported as per the VMware compatibility guide.

So go ahead Smiley Wink

Please consider marking this answer "CORRECT" or "Helpful" if you think your question have been answered correctly.

Cheers,

VCIX6-NV|VCP-NV|VCP-DC|

@KakHassan

linkedin.com/in/hassanalkak

If my reply was helpful, I kindly ask you to like it and mark it as a solution

Regards,
Hassan Alkak