VMware Cloud Community
esnmb
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

EVC Not allowed

We have some IBM blades running on Intel e7540 with some newer blades running e7-4830 procs.  It seems no matter which evc mode I choose I can't get them to be compatible.  Any thoughts?  I thought Intel was making it so different generations of chips would be able to work for this purpose...?

0 Kudos
5 Replies
esnmb
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I turned the new blade off, changed the EVC to the latest Nehalem EVC mode that the existing blades supported, turned the new blade back on and am now able ot vmotion to it...  I don't recall having to do this on my old AMD based blades...  Anyone else have this kind of experience?

0 Kudos
MauroBonder
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Hi,

Do you already saw this kb ? http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?language=en_US&cmd=displayKC&externalId=100321...

If you´ve virtual machine powered on, you cannot enable EVC.

*Please, don't forget the awarding points for "helpful" and/or "correct" answers. *Por favor, não esqueça de atribuir os pontos se a resposta foi útil ou resolveu o problema.* Thank you/Obrigado
0 Kudos
esnmb
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

There weren't any VM's running on it yet actually. I usually disable vmotion when I add a new blade in so I can slowly move VM's onto it to test functionality...

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Hi  esnmb

If there is compatibility issuse then littlebit tuff to work on it.

Always we should do some exercise before procuring the hardware so that we can avoid compatibiltiy issuse .

Life is   never easy for those who dream"
0 Kudos
esnmb
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Not much I can do about that since the one set of blades are no longer made even though they are only 2 years old..  If I need to add more hardware there isn't much I can do..

0 Kudos