VMware Cloud Community
TBKing
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

EVC Error when moving VI3 hosts from vC2.5 to vC5

Process:
Evacuate guests from one host (host must be in maint mode to pull out of cluster)
Pull host out of cluster, but keep in vC2

Move guests back
Repeat until cluster is empty

Disconnect hosts from vC2
Add hosts to vC5

Evacuate guests from one host
Move host into cluster
Move guests to clustered hosts
Repeat until all hosts are in cluster

Working great UNTIL I got an error when trying to move some guests into the cluster:

"The host's CPU hardware should support the cluster's current Enhanced vMotion Compatibility mode, but

some of the necessary CPU feature are missing from the host.  Check the host's BIOS configuration to

ensure that no necessary features are disabled (such as XD, VT, AES, or PCLMULQDQ for Intel, or NX for

AMD).  For more information, see KB article 1003212."

All of the hosts were in a cluster with EVC set to Merom, which is what the new cluster is set to.
I have two other hosts of the same generation and build that are in the cluster. (and some hosts that are newer)
And the error shows when I'm trying to move certain Guests into the cluster - I haven't moved the host.

During the migration, the guests that couldn't move came from a number of different hosts.  I did not

keep track of what/where because I did not expect this to be an issue.  So for the time being, I put all

the guests on one host   Which points out that I could still move the guests from host-to-host.

And whichever hosts those guests came from moved into the cluster without issue.

The only common factor I see between the guests is that they are all 32-bit, but I have plenty of other

guests in the cluster running a 32-bit OS.

The KB article is about the Host hardware, chips and compatibility - which are all supported.

What have I run into, and how do I get my guests back into the cluster?

Thanks

0 Kudos
0 Replies