VMware Cloud Community
dhchentw
Contributor
Contributor

ESXi root password change and vCenter connectivity

I found a problem which describes as follows:

1. I installed a ESXi host, set password as A, and use vCenter to manage it. Everything is fine.

2. I changed ESXi host password to B, and thought vCenter needs to change the password used to connect to that ESXi, and found nothing need to be done. The vCenter still can manage that ESXi host. Incredible!

3. After vSphere 5.1 is out, I want to update ESXi to 5.1 by update manager. Update procedure failed, tells me cannot create ramdisk about ~300mb. After googling for the error message, it is said that local datastore has not enough free space, but my local datastore has about 250g free space.

4. After digging into ESXi log file (vua.log), I tried to revert ESXi host password to A and try update again. Success!

My question is:

Is there any way to change the password vCenter uses to connect to ESXi host after ESXi host's password has benn changed? I know i can disconnect then reconnect, but it seems to be a stupid way...

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Nikhil_Patwa
Expert
Expert

Hi,

ESXi hosts use vpx user account to connect to vCenter Server and whenever you change the root password it does not affect the way you access vCenter Server.

There must be a bug in ESXi 5.1 that cause the update manager to remember old root password and not get updated with the latest root password.

Why don't you install update manager plug in in vCenter Server and use it's credentials to update the ESXi host?

Hope this information is helpful

Nikhil

dhchentw
Contributor
Contributor

Hello Nikhil:

I do use update manager plugin in vCenter. Also I think vCenter has no way to know new ESXi root password as it has been md5 hashed.

Shouldn't there be some policy that if user changes ESXi's root password, the vpx user will also be invalidated, and prompting user to reconnect to that ESXi host by using new root password? And, as update manager needs to create visorfs during update, why root password is needed?

0 Kudos