VMware Cloud Community
skoehler122
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

ESXi host shows "not responding" in vSphere web console after 60-90 seconds following disconnect/reconnect

I'm not sure where to go next with this, hoping someone can offer advice...

This is a fresh install of vCenter 5.5 and an existing ESXi 5.5 server. I see my ESXi host and all details in the web console, but it shows up as "not responding". I can successfully disconnect/reconnect but every time, 60-90 seconds after successful reconnect it goes back to "not responding".

FYI:

Is there anything else I can test or do to isolate what could be causing this? I'm happy to provide any needed additional details.

7 Replies
f10
Expert
Expert

Are you saying that the ESXi host are reported as disconnected only in the vSphere Web Client whereas the C# client does not report any disconnect?

I would first configure vCenter alarms to send notifications when there is a host disconnect, this will help isolate issues between ESXi/vCenter and C#/Web Client. A host "not responding" indicates that the ESXi host is unable to send/receive heartbeats to vCenter and if I am not correct is UDP port 902. I understand that you have checked networking already but you can ask your network team to check the firewall for TCP/UDP port 902.

In addition to the above, also monitor if there are any tasks that are being initiated on the ESXi host that may cause this disconnect, for e.g. taking snapshots.

Hope this helps !!

Regards, Arun Pandey VCP 3,4,5 | VCAP-DCA | NCDA | HPUX-CSA | http://highoncloud.blogspot.in/ If you found this or other information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful".
0 Kudos
Nexus007
Contributor
Contributor

Hi There

Have you ever found the solution to this problem you had.  Im sitting with exactly the same issue.

Thanks

Paul

0 Kudos
SanjaySP1
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Hi

Is windows firewall turned on in vCenter? If yes, can you try turning off to see if the issue persists.

0 Kudos
wilber822
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

The best way to troubleshooting the issue is vpxa and hostd logs on problem ESXi host and Web Client logs.

Please also check out Windows event logs if Web Client is installed on a Windows server.

BTW, you say Web Client has problem but vSphere Client is fine, I would say you may not able to notice the disconnect/reconnect on vSphere Client if it's flapping very fast. ARP conflic or IP conflict also can cause similar problem.

https://www.zhengwu.org
0 Kudos
TronAr
Commander
Commander

I'm having a simmilar issue, VCVA 5.5, several hosts, many show as (not responding) using the web client,

but all of them have normal operations as evidenced by using the fat client.

In one case, the problem went away by restarting the web client server, but that has not done the magic in this setup.

I'm lost here...

0 Kudos
Jatinder87
Contributor
Contributor

In My case , firewall service on vcenter was stopped , started the service esxi server came back to inventory

0 Kudos
grizzley01
Contributor
Contributor

Check whether ESX host outgoing traffic on UDP Port 902 (VMware vCenter Agent) is enabled.