VMware Cloud Community
tusharpatil
Contributor
Contributor

ESXi HA configuration Error.

Hi,

I am using Vmware workstation and in it I have configured two ESXi servers and using Open filer as common storage for keeping my VMs in it.

Through vCenter I have put these two ESXi VMs in a cluster for configuring HA on them.

I observed one error when configuring HA on them is like this "Can not complete the configuration of HA on Host, Misconfiguration on the Host network setup".

I have configured two separate standard vSwitches on both ESXi servers one for management traffic and one for vMotion.

I am not getting the actual problem.:smileyconfused:

Also when I shutdown the VM on those ESXi servers and then shut down the ESXi server in the cluster the VM then gets reregistered on the other ESXi Host machine but it is not getting moved automatically to other ESXi Host if I take shutdown of any ESXi Host.

Please guide in this situation.

Thanks in advance.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
bulletprooffool
Champion
Champion

Morning,

Make sure that your storage is acceisble on both ESXi hosts. also make sure that All datastore mapped and PortGroups mappe don the ESXi hosts have the same names (even match case sensitivity)

Next, look at the HA settings for your cluster - in particular the admission control policy - make sure you have enough resource effectively to meet your constraints.

Lastly, look at your virtual machine Policies for HA, as well as your host isolation response settings.

Hosting multiple ESX hosts on VM workstation can make it rather tricky to simulate HA scenarios, as 'shutting down' an ESXi host is of course not the same as an HA event being invoked.

good luck and please feed back

One day I will virtualise myself . . .
0 Kudos
chriswahl
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

I'd also suggest checking to make sure the hosts have a valid DNS server specified. This is important in an HA environment.

Note: Be aware that the minimum amount of memory an ESX server can have and still meet HA requirements is 2300 MB. Because you state this is a "misconfiguration on the Host network setup" error, I doubt this is the issue, but double check it anyway. I ran into this issue once when I created a virtual ESX server with only 2048 MB of RAM.

VCDX #104 (DCV, NV) ஃ WahlNetwork.com ஃ @ChrisWahl ஃ Author, Networking for VMware Administrators
0 Kudos
hicksj
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

As evidenced by the responses, of which there's surely other ones on the way, HA can be a bit finicky.   The warning is indicating network configuration.  I have seen something as simple as the subnet mask being slightly off causing HA configuration to fail.  Check that all tcpip parameters are consistent on each host.... masks, gateway address, gateway is reachable, etc.

0 Kudos