VMware Cloud Community
rbizzell40
Contributor
Contributor

ESXi 5.5 Host and Adding to vCenter 6.0

I have installed vCenter 6.0 and when I create a data-center  and then try to add host I get license errors. The ESXi 5.5 hosts are already licensed. I have vCenter 6.0 Essentials which allows for 3 hosts. How can I add the existing host and I was told by VMware that vCenter 6.0 can manage ESXi 5.5 hosts.Error when adding ESXi 5.5 host to vCenter 6.0.PNG

0 Kudos
7 Replies
greco827
Expert
Expert

vCenter 6 can manage ESXi 5.5 hosts without issue.  Make sure you have applied the essentials license to the host.  It should only throw this error if you use the free trial license, which does not include the ability to add the host to vCenter.

If you find this or any other answer useful please mark the answer as correct or helpful https://communities.vmware.com/people/greco827/blog
0 Kudos
rbizzell40
Contributor
Contributor

So I applied the VMware vCenter  Server 6 Essentials  to the vCenter Server and then I added the VMware vsphere 6 essentials for  6 processors under licensing through the vsphere web client and then I went and added the ESXi 5.5 host and host has an existing license already to I need to remove it or something. I have a Vsphere 5 Hypervisor Licensed for 2 physical CPUs. It doesn't say evaluation license

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

The error message occurs because the host is currently licensed with a free Hypervisor license. To reslove the issue, use the ESXi Essentials CPU license key and apply it to the host prior to adding it to vCenter Server.

André

0 Kudos
rbizzell40
Contributor
Contributor

I tried to add the license to the ESXi 5.5 host and got an error an error occurred when assigning the specified license key License is not valid for this product

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

Can you confirm that the CPU license keys are for ESXi 5.5 rather than 6.0? In case you only have 6.0 license keys you'll need to downgrade the required number of CPU licenses from v6 to v5.

André

0 Kudos
rbizzell40
Contributor
Contributor

and then add them to the vCenter 6.0 host

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

You may add the licenses to vCenter Server or to the host itself. As soon as you add a licensed host to vCenter Server, it will pick up the host's license anyway.

André

0 Kudos