VMware Cloud Community
OmegaManu
Contributor
Contributor

ESXi 4 remote access problem (vSphere)

First of all excuse me for my English but i'm italian. Premised: i have one HP ML110 G5 and i have installed VMware ESXi 4; all the necessary port in the firewall of the router are open (22, 80, 389, 443, 902, 903, 8080, 8333, 8443); i have a static IP address (internal and exteral); I know that it is adviced against to expose the server on Internet directly, but are only test; the VMware vCenter Agent is stopped and when i try to start it i receive the seguent error: "Error during the configuration on the host"; the NTP daemon is already running; i don't find the Lockdown mode. The big problem is that I CANNOT BE CONNECTED FROM ONE CLIENT WITH VSPHERE OUTSIDE THE LAN BUT INSIDE THE LAN IS ALL OK.

Now, i have three question:

1) is possible to use the cd/dvd rom in ESXi client (in the unsupported terminal)

2) why i don't find the Lockdown mode and which is it's function shortly;

3) WHY I CAN'T CONNECT OUTSIDE THE LAN???

Thank's to all, of all, in advance payment.

0 Kudos
5 Replies
OmegaManu
Contributor
Contributor

No good boy can help this pover man? 😜

0 Kudos
OmegaManu
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks to all for the answers... eheheheh i joke... :smileylaugh: Up.

0 Kudos
OmegaManu
Contributor
Contributor

Up. Smiley Sad :smileygrin:

0 Kudos
Dave_Mishchenko
Immortal
Immortal

Lockdown can be done in the DCUI (or when you join the host to vCenter). Given that you don't appear to be using vCenter then you don't want to use lockdown mode. You can use the host's CDROM in a guest depending on the type of controller it is attached to.

Could you provide some additional details on the networking setup? We don't need specifc IPs but it would help to know how the vSwitches are setup, if you're using NAT, etc.

Dave

VMware Communities User Moderator

New book in town - vSphere Quick Start Guide -http://www.yellow-bricks.com/2009/08/12/new-book-in-town-vsphere-quick-start-guide/.

Do you have a system or PCI card working with VMDirectPath? Submit your specs to the Unofficial VMDirectPath HCL - http://www.vm-help.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=21.

PS - your English is just fine.

0 Kudos
mlopez1
Contributor
Contributor

Could someone please clarify the licensing behind the vSphere client that I can downloaded directly from the ESXi system? Is the license for this vSphere Client also free, or will it expire at some point? How is it that I can manage ESXi using this client with the vCenter Agent stopped?

Also, I'd apprecite a complete list of ports that need to be opened to do a P2V conversion from a server on the DMZ with the ESXi server management network interface on the LAN behind the corporate firewall, like so:

P2V source --- DMZ -

Corp FW -

ESXi Server --- Mgmt Net --- LAN --- vSphere Client

DMZ --- Corp FW --- ESXi server (2nd NIC)

Thanks.

0 Kudos