VMware Cloud Community
Raiman83
Contributor
Contributor

ESXi 3.5 and VC 2.5

Hi everyone,

Is it possible to add ESXi to VCenter ? We had evaluation version of VC and one ESX and two free ESXi. Now we bought licenses for two servers. Now we have two ESX servers connected to VC and I can't add any more ESXi. Is it possible ? Or I have to buy new licenses ?

Thank You

0 Kudos
5 Replies
schepp
Leadership
Leadership

You need to buy VC agent licenses to add more Servers to VC.

0 Kudos
Raiman83
Contributor
Contributor

But why ?

I have only 2 hosts connected to VC. In fundation VC I can add 3

0 Kudos
anujmodi1
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Free ESXi can't be managed by VC untill you will pay for services. You have take one more license for that esxi server.

Anuj Modi,

If you found my answer to be useful, feel free to mark it as Helpful or Correct.

The latest blogs and articles on Virtulization:

http://communities.vmware.com/blogs/amodi

Anuj Modi, If you found my answer to be useful, feel free to mark it as Helpful or Correct. The latest blogs and articles on Virtulization: anujmodi.wordpress.com
0 Kudos
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal

If you have foundation and still have the available agent license available you should be able to add your ESXi server to your environment but you will need to have it point to the license server on your VC server - also remember that the vc agent icenses are per CPU - with foundation you have 6 cpu licenses - so if the two servers your are currently managing have a total of 6 physical CPUs you will not be able to the ESXi server -

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
0 Kudos
doepain
Contributor
Contributor

We are operating 5 ESXi 3.5 servers 2 onsie, and 3 off site (10 procs). My hope is to be able to install one VC server in one of our sites, and be able to manage the ESXi servers in both of our sites. Can this be done?

Senior Hosting Engineer

ModusLink Open Channel Solutions, Inc.

Senior Hosting Engineer ModusLink Open Channel Solutions, Inc.
0 Kudos