VMware Cloud Community
BonnoB
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

ESX server hardware tab error using Win7 vSphere client

Hi,

Is there a known problem with the ESX server hardware tab when using a Windows 7 client? I am using both vSphere client and vCenter server version 4.1.0. (build 258902).

I have a consistent problem reading the hardware status of my ESX servers when I am working at home. My home computer is a Windows 7 home premium and is not part of the AD domain. My other computers, both the laptop and the one at my desk are Windows XP Pro computers that are part of the Active Directory domain.

What I do is I start the vSphere client and connect to my vCenter server.

At the XP machines I select the "use Windows session credentials" and click login.

At the Win7 machine I enter my Windows AD credentials. I have tried both the domain\loginname and the loginname@domain.com way.

Each time I end up logged in to my vSphere Server and in the lower right corner I see my AD account displayed as domain\loginname.

I go to Inventory, Hosts and Clusters, select an ESX server, select the Hardware status tab.

At the XP machines I then get to see the hardware status.

At the Win7 machine, after about 10 sec, I get the Message:

An error occurred, pleasy try again in another vSphere session.

I can reproduce this consistently. Would the cause be something in Windows 7, maybe firewall related? Or might it be something related to the fact that my home computer is not part of the AD domain?

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Reply
vmroyale
Immortal
Immortal

Hello.

While neither kb 1014213 or kb 1010641 directly address these issues in 4.1, they do provide some general guidelines for troubleshooting this error.

Good Luck!

Brian Atkinson | vExpert | VMTN Moderator | Author of "VCP5-DCV VMware Certified Professional-Data Center Virtualization on vSphere 5.5 Study Guide: VCP-550" | @vmroyale | http://vmroyale.com
0 Kudos