VMware Cloud Community
sycon1976
Contributor
Contributor

ESX host not responding and unable to remove

Sorry if this has been answered, but I could not seem to find the answer by searching. We have had an ESX host go down due to hardware issues. We have decided to not fix this server as the cluster is running just fine with out it. Right now it is showing up as not responding, but the option to remove from the cluster is greyed out.

Is there a way to "force" a removal or any ideas why the remove option is not available?

Thanks in advance.

0 Kudos
17 Replies
jbrazio
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Have you tried to disconnect first and then remove ?

-

If you find this post helpful please don't forget to award points to it.

----- If you find this post helpful please don't forget to award points to it.
0 Kudos
VBarak
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

or entering maintenance mode before you try that...

0 Kudos
jbrazio
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

But if the host is already disconnected.. there's no way to put it on

maintenance mode.

----- If you find this post helpful please don't forget to award points to it.
0 Kudos
sycon1976
Contributor
Contributor

I cannot do either option. The only option really is Power On. Not really an option as we dont plan on fixing the hardware.

0 Kudos
vistaphotos
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

There's a distinction when an ESX is marked as "Not Responding" or "Disconnected" in VC, these are different states. I don't remember for sure, but I'm guessing if the ESX is "Not Responding" the option to "Remove from Inventory" is greyed out, but the option to "Disconnect" is available. I think if you use the "Disconnect" option the ESX should transition to a "Disconnected" state and the option to "Remove from Inventory" should no longer be greyed out, it can then be used to remove the ESX from the inventory. Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
bggb29
Expert
Expert

Have you tried restarting the virtual center server service

then attempted to remove the host

0 Kudos
csherman
Contributor
Contributor

Im actually having the same problem, A Host that Can not be removed from Virtual Center. Ive tried restarting virtual center completely, but so far nothing has worked to remove it. Every time I get an Error :

Destroy host - Unable to contact the specified Host (ip addy). This might be because the host is not available on the network.

The host is in a "disconnected" state

0 Kudos
Wyrdone
Contributor
Contributor

We also have this same issue. Tried restarting vCenter and cannot reconnect host.

0 Kudos
AndreTheGiant
Immortal
Immortal

Have you tried to reastart the agent on ESX?

service vmware-vpxa restart

Andre

**if you found this or any other answer useful please consider allocating points for helpful or correct answers

Andrew | http://about.me/amauro | http://vinfrastructure.it/ | @Andrea_Mauro
0 Kudos
VladN
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

You may have to contact support about this. About a month ago my colleague killed one of the servers before I removed it from the inventory, but I don't remember any problems with removing it from virtual center...

0 Kudos
evandena
Contributor
Contributor

Any updates?

I'm having the same problem. Updated VC to 4.0, one of the hosts is disconnected and I cannot connect it or remove it.

Trying to Connect tells me the password is wrong (even before I type it), and will fail with "Permission to perform this operation was denied. You do not hold privilege "System > View" on folder """

Trying to Remove says it cannot contact specified host.

0 Kudos
thehyperadvisor
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

The only thing that has worked for me is to either install a new esx host with the same ip. It also only worked when the esx host was around the same build as what the old one was i.e. update 3 or update 4. The second which have used a few times and is quick as easy, is to change the ip of one your current esx host. Of course this may not be an option for most in their production environment but if you have an esx host that you can remove from vc, reip the SC (esxcfg-vswif -i newip -n subnet vswifx), connect to it in VC, then remove it again, change the ip back, readd.

hope this helps - thehyperadvisor.com

If you found this or other information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful".

VCP3,4,5, VCAP4-DCA, vExpert hope this helps - http://www.thehyperadvisor.com If you found this or other information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful".
0 Kudos
evandena
Contributor
Contributor

I figured out my issue... the host was ESXi and in Lockdown Mode, so I could not join it to VC with the root account.

0 Kudos
romant
Contributor
Contributor

duplicate

0 Kudos
djkast33
Contributor
Contributor

" figured out my issue... the host was ESXi and in Lockdown Mode, so I could not join it to VC with the root account."

This shouldn't matter... I've added other hosts in, while a server is in lockdown mode

0 Kudos
roberbizimhatem
Contributor
Contributor

Reinstall the hypervisor with the same IP and reconnect. It will ask you for the username and password. The VM's you had will be marked "orphaned". You can remove them from inventory ("Remove from Inventory").

0 Kudos
MartinHolt
Contributor
Contributor

" figured out my issue... the host was ESXi and in Lockdown Mode, so I could not join it to VC with the root account."

This resolved the issue as it was described to me. Thankyou!

Is a misleading error message.

0 Kudos