VMware Cloud Community
NorbK
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

ESX Server Disconnected From VC, Can't Reconnect

Periodically (like once every couple months) I'll have an ESX host (v3.0.1) become "disconnected" from Virtual Center (v2.0.1). The VMs are all still running fine on that host. However, without rebooting the server (and thus \*shutting down* every single VM on it (currently 35), there does not seem to be a way to get it to reconnect. I have:

\* Verified I can get to the host directly via the VI client

\* Verified that VC can ping it

\* Am using FQDNs when adding these to VC

\* Have tried restarting services (service mgmt-vmware restart)

\* Rebooted VC

This is becoming frustrating because even though it doesn't happen often, when it does, it seems the only way around it is to shut down the VMs and reboot the ESX host.

When VC no longer "sees" it and deems it disconnected, what else can be done to get it reconnected outside of rebooting?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
esiebert7625
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

0 Kudos
9 Replies
esiebert7625
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

You can try deleting the vpxuser as suggested in this post.

http://www.vmware.com/community/thread.jspa?messageID=733306&#733306

0 Kudos
NorbK
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Thanks for the reply! That thread led to some additional services to restart that took care of it w/o deleting the vpxuser.

Do you find that your ESX servers need that periodic reboot to prevent this from happening? What is your scheduled reboot cycle for ESX servers?

0 Kudos
jaygriffin
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Try this on the ESX server:

service mgmt-vmware restart

service vmware-vpxa restart

I have some remote ESX servers (connected via VPN) that this happens to occassionally.

NorbK
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Those seem to be the two magic services to restart. I have them setup as an altiris job now so next time it will be a drag and drop event Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
esiebert7625
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

ESX servers are not really like Windows Servers and don't need periodic reboots. As to why it happened it that's a tough one, could be something like a bug in the agent code or alot of different things. It seems like these two tasks need to be restarted in alot of cases of users having problems in these forums.

0 Kudos
plusque
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

we have the same problem on our esx's.

i already knew about restarting mgmt-vmware, but is this really the solution??? this is a workaround, not a solution!

does really nobody have a propper solution?

greets

0 Kudos
dm330
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Have the same problem here with

vc 2.5 and esx 3.03

could be a memory starving problem from the console

look at this:

Soft/Hard limit: Edit the config.xml under /etc/vmware/hostd and add the following into the <config> section:

<hostdWarnMemInMB>200</hostdWarnMemInMB>

<hostdStopMemInMB>250</hostdStopMemInMB>

Do a restart on hostd process by:

or if you want to script it like me:

mv -f /etc/vmware/hostd/config.xml /etc/vmware/hostd/config.xml.bak

/bin/sed -e 's|</config>|\n<hostdWarnMemInMB>200</hostdWarnMemInMB>\n<hostdStopMemInMB>250</hostdStopMemInMB>\n\n</config>|g' /etc/vmware/hostd/config.xml.bak >> /etc/vmware/hostd/config.xml

iám stil testing it and wil let you now if it works... Smiley Wink

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
0 Kudos
dm330
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

The problem i had is that the config.xml had double value's like:

<hostdWarnMemInMB>200</hostdWarnMemInMB><hostdWarnMemInMB>200</hostdWarnMemInMB>

<hostdStopMemInMB>250</hostdStopMemInMB<hostdStopMemInMB>250</hostdStopMemInMB>

So the Hostd would not start because of it....

I do have other disconnect problems in the whole farm but that on is related to fw or vc 2.5u3 for which i wil create a new post...

http://communities.vmware.com/thread/191265

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
0 Kudos
josemunv
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

increase the memory on ESX,

• Click on the Options tab.

• Click Startup Profile.

• Change the Reserved Memory parameter in the new window to 800MB.

To 3.5

ESX/configuration/memory/properties... you must REBOOT the ESX

0 Kudos