VMware Cloud Community
_usr_local_dick
Contributor
Contributor

ESX Ranger + Diff.Engine or ESX Ranger + VCB + WIndows VSS?

Hi guys

I've got a simple VI3 setup here, two ESX servers, with FC SAN.

For backups I've got a W2K3 server with FC HBA, a VCB license, and a large RAID array to store backups.

I've got about 10 VM's, who's vmdk's are taking up 700 Gb of diskspace on the SAN. I have 2.7 Tb of local diskspace on the backup proxy.

My goal is to have only image backups. Almost all my guests are Linux and they are backupped at the file-level from within the guest, which works fine.

In order to have multiple VM-image backups, I figured out I could do 3 things:

1.[/b] Barebones method, use ESX Ranger +VCB, and just store 3 image backups of each machine locally. Without any compression at all, this would use 2.1 Tb.

2.[/b] Use ESX Ranger with its so-called 'Differential Engine'. According to the docs this will a) do intelligent compression and b) make images available based on diffs.

Which would mean I could store lots of different versions of each VM image.

3. Use ESX Ranger + VCB, and use W2K3's VolumeShadowCopy service to do the snapshotting. Homegrown idea, but it should work AFAICS.

In the docs I see that ESX Ranger + Differential Engine is not compatible with VCB, but how bad is this?

0 Kudos
2 Replies
petedr
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

An alternate approach for VM image backups is esXpress (http://www.esxpress.com). Backups run in the virtual space on your hosts using VBAs ( Virtual Backup Appliances ) and does not need VCB or any additional hardware. It supports Delta backups which it looks like you are looking for. For backup targets it can send diretly to vmfs or network targets ( FTP or SSH ). Also in the new 3.1 Beta it also now provides File Level Backups and alot of other new features (encryption, templates, backing up VMs with existing snapshots). Compressions supported are industry standards gzip and lzop.

www.thevirtualheadline.com www.liquidwarelabs.com
0 Kudos
jmattox
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

We should have Diff's and VSS for VCB by end of year... FYI...

Normal LAN backups have VSS now; we are in final stages of testing for release...

0 Kudos