VMware Cloud Community
admin
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

ESX Host not responding in VC 4.1

Hello,

I have installed VC 4.1.0 in a Windows 2003 machine. Installation and configuration went smoothly. Now, when I am adding a host (ESX) to the VC, the host shows as Not Responding after few seconds. Is this something known? I have found another similar thread http://communities.vmware.com/message/1347953, where it was mentioned that its a known issue with the older builds.

Also, when the add this host to another similar VC it works fine. Not able to figure out the problem with this VC setup.

Expecting some reply from VC experts.

Thanks in advance

~ Gitashree

Email: ggoswami@vmware.com

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Rajeev_S
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Is there a firewall between ESX & VC? if yes can you confirm if port 902 TCP & UDP is allowed bi directional?

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
admin
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Thanks Rajeev, for the link. I have followed the steps mentioned in the link. Even then, the ESX host goes Not Responding.

1. #cat /etc/opt/vmware/vpxa/vpxa.cfg\

- Server IP has the right entry of the VC IP.

2. Administration > vCenter Server Settings > Runtime Settings

- Have entered the VC IP in 'vCenter Server Managed IP'

The link talked about ESX hosts going Not Responding after upgrade. In my case, its a fresh VC setup and the hosts are added for the 1st time.

0 Kudos
Rajeev_S
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Is there a firewall between ESX & VC? if yes can you confirm if port 902 TCP & UDP is allowed bi directional?

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

To make sure nothing is blocked, I have stopped firewall at both the ends. And now, it seems to be working Smiley Happy.

Thanks a ton !

0 Kudos
Virtuadude
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Make sure that port 902 and 903 are not being blocked.

If there is any proxy server or firewall ensure that the complete traffic is being allowed.

This problem also accurs if the Service Console IP address is conflicting with any other machine on the network.

Ensure that the NAT, if configured, does the IP address resolution properly.

0 Kudos
Rajeev_S
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

glad it helped Smiley Happy

0 Kudos