VMware Cloud Community
samuk
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

ESX 4.1 to a 4.0 Cluster

Hi,

Sorry if this is the incorrect place to post..

Current setup:

• Single VCenter Server 4.0 (496403)
  • 3 ESX Hosts 4.0 (504850)
  • Single Cluster with DRS & HA
  • VMotion

1 of the existing 4.0 hosts is to be upgraded to version 4.1 Update 03 (800380)    (Format and re-install)

this will also be in the same cluster etc..

Starting in the morning - please let me know if this will work and if i will encounter any issues with vmotion etc...

Sam

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Sorry about that but yes vcenter -  I could be wrong but I think there was no license change between 4.0 and 4.1 - I would confirm with vmware -

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

It sshould work but I would upgrade your vCenetr server first and then upgrade the host by doing this will definitely eliminate any issues -

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
samuk
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

You mean vcenter v4.1?

I dont have upgrade lincences at the moment as the licences team have messed the portal access up..

can i do this in eval mode for 60 days?   will the esx 4.0 key work with 4.1? 

0 Kudos
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Sorry about that but yes vcenter -  I could be wrong but I think there was no license change between 4.0 and 4.1 - I would confirm with vmware -

0 Kudos
TomHowarth
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

If you want your vSphere 4.1 host to be managed by your vCenter you will need to uprade that to 4.1 first.  if you are licensed to 4.0 you will be able to use the same license key for your vCenter.

caveat (you require a valid SnS contract in place)

vCenter can manage multiple versions for vSphere to the same version or lower only.

Tom Howarth VCP / VCAP / vExpert
VMware Communities User Moderator
Blog: http://www.planetvm.net
Contributing author on VMware vSphere and Virtual Infrastructure Security: Securing ESX and the Virtual Environment
Contributing author on VCP VMware Certified Professional on VSphere 4 Study Guide: Exam VCP-410
TomHowarth
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

You are correct David, your version 4.0 license will license 4.1 products of the same type.

Tom Howarth VCP / VCAP / vExpert
VMware Communities User Moderator
Blog: http://www.planetvm.net
Contributing author on VMware vSphere and Virtual Infrastructure Security: Securing ESX and the Virtual Environment
Contributing author on VCP VMware Certified Professional on VSphere 4 Study Guide: Exam VCP-410
0 Kudos
samuk
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Thanks for the clarificartion..

0 Kudos