VMware Cloud Community
jantonvidale
Contributor
Contributor

ESX 4.1 error when restart - sync disks cache

Hello.

I have a VMware infrastructure with 10 ESX servers 4.1.0,502767

I have a problem when I reboot the esx node, this reboot take a long time and after 1 hour I need press reset server because teh server not response.

On the attached images you can see my error.

server waiting for sync disks cache.

All datastorages are over San storage of IBM no scsi storage used.

Thanks in advance.

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
6 Replies
UmeshAhuja
Commander
Commander

Hi,

Is you ESX's are on bootable LUN , If yes then do zoning for each LUN with respect to its host.

Thanks n Regards
Umesh Ahuja

If your query resolved then please consider awarding points by correct or helpful marking.
0 Kudos
jantonvidale
Contributor
Contributor

Hello.

No, my esx server start from the local disk and I only use the san storage for vmfs datastorage for virtual machines.

My servers are Dell R710 with the last updates of firmware  from the repository om651_suu_a00.iso

Thanks in advance.

0 Kudos
UmeshAhuja
Commander
Commander

Hi,

Have you done Zonning for the datastore LUN's  for each ESX host , might be the zonning issue as it goes on scanning for all the disks every time when ESX is rebooted

Thanks n Regards
Umesh Ahuja

If your query resolved then please consider awarding points by correct or helpful marking.
0 Kudos
vmwareavula
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi Umesh,

According to me, its not at all related to zoning.Jsust check the network communication between each host(10 esx hosts), and check the HBA Cards .

0 Kudos
UmeshAhuja
Commander
Commander

Hi,

It is not because of network as ESX is taking time at the time of booting only afterward there is no issue, Hence I will recommend it to check with the zonning and HBA card fiber cable connectivity.

Thanks n Regards
Umesh Ahuja

0 Kudos
jantonvidale
Contributor
Contributor

Hello.

Our Config for teh zoning:

each ESX has it's own zone where the
- WWN of the ESX server and
- WWN of the Storage Controller
are bundled together.

Zoning is not done per LUN! So, indeed, all servers know all LUN's 'cause they are mapped in the DS to the group which consists out of the ESX servers.

This approach is followed since years without any (performance) problem - at least: I'm not aware of.

Thanks

0 Kudos