VMware Cloud Community
khenry567
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

ESX 4.0 U1 host disconnects from VC

Hey folks,

I am working on my test bed trying to get it going again after a shutdown of 6 months. I have changed all of my ip addressing, in everything, virtual machines, esx host(only one), and iscsi(openfiler). I have been able to work fine using webaccess. My VC is working fine. So is my DC. All are vms. The problem is that I connect the host to the VC and everything is fine for anywhere from a minute to three minutes and then VC loses the connection to the host. I clik on the esx host and clik "connect" and I am connected again for the aforementioned time period. I have disconnected the host several times and reconnected. No change in problem. I have looked for some remnant of old ip addressing that might cause the problem but can find nothing that I have not changed. I have not shutdown all of my vms and restarted the esx host. I have restarted the services mgmt and vpxa. Anyone have an idea of what I am missing here?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Did you update the DNS records for the ESX host and vCenter Server?

André

EDIT: You may also read KB1011647 - ESX host continually disconnects from the vCenter Server following an upgrade to ESX 4.0

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
8 Replies
RParker
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

The problem is that I connect the host to the VC and everything is fine for anywhere from a minute to three minutes and then VC loses the connection to the host

You said you changed ALL the IP, I think you missed one. This most common problem that causes this is an IP conflict.

Then you can check the cables and port, and make sure you aren't using 9000 MTU on a 1500 Switch port, that will lock up and cause problems also. then look at the logs on the switch and the ESX host for clues.

khenry567
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hey RParker,

I think you are probably correct. That is what I have been looking for. I think it is in the ESX host itself. Got any idea of which esx files I can look in to see if there is "errant" ip addresses?

0 Kudos
RParker
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

I think you are probably correct.

I was thinking external not internal to the ESX host. Try making the IP completely different see if it still disconnects.

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Did you update the DNS records for the ESX host and vCenter Server?

André

EDIT: You may also read KB1011647 - ESX host continually disconnects from the vCenter Server following an upgrade to ESX 4.0

0 Kudos
khenry567
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hey guys,

I just restarted my switch and had to restart my vi client access to esx host. This error message came up: "This host is curently being managed by the vCenter Server with IP address 192.168.200.18. Changes made to this host during this session may not be reflected in vSphere Client sessions currently viewing the vCenter Server." The ip address 192.168.200.18 is the OLD address of the vCenter server vm, the NEW vCenter address is 10.200.0.18. This error message comes up each time I use the vi client to log into the esx host. I have checked all my DNS and DHCP records on my DC. All looks good. Obviously something sees this 192 address as the address of the vCenter server. Would not this have to be in the esx server somewhere?

While you guys digest this info I am going to reboot my esx server, just for the heck of it. Reboot is a good technician's first troubleshooting technique, right?:) Now I wouldn't be able to do that probably on my production system without moving a whole bunch of vms but with this test bed I can.

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

0 Kudos
khenry567
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Well a.p., you win the prize. How the heck did you find this kb? THANKS. I looked for that(not that specific kb but the subject matter) yesterday and could not find it. Obviously I wasn't using the correct search parameters, though I did type in part of the error message.

The vpxa.cfg file listed the correct addresses. (hostIp)10.200.0.20(/hostIp) So, then I changed the following.

The part of the kb that worked for me is:

To change the IP address in vCenter:

1.Click Administration > vCenter Server Settings.

2.Click Runtime Settings.

3.Enter the IP address of the vCenter Server in the vCenter Server Managed IP field under the Managed IP Address heading.

4.Click OK.

5.Close the vSphere Client session connected to vCenter.

6.Open a new vSphere Client session with vCenter.

7.Connect the ESX host.

I want to thank all you guys for your help. I appreciate all the replies given to my questions whether they are the final answer or not because they all usually add to my knowledge.

0 Kudos
khenry567
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hey RParker,

Thanks for your help. AND, you were right. I did miss ONE ip address. See my final answer to a.p. as he pointed me to the answer.

0 Kudos