VMware Cloud Community
mats82
Contributor
Contributor

ESX 3.5 upgarde missing SAN LUN

Hi everyone,

I have a cluster of 2 hosts running DRA and HA on ESX 3.0.1 and VC 2.5. They share 3 SAN LUN's with VM's spread over all 3 LUN's.

I put one host in maint. mode and did a fresh install of ESX 3.5. Everything seemed to work well except i couldn't join it back to the cluster. I then found out that it can only see 2 of the 3 SAN LUN's? It could see all 3 before the install. I have checked the zoning etc on the SAN it it appears fine. The storage adapter can see the missing LUN but i need to add it back thru "add storage" to view it again.

The problem is, when i try and add the LUN back it says it's empty and i need to format it? I know it's not empty as i can browse the data on it using putty and the other host is currently running 7 VM's off that LUN?

Anyone experienced this before? It's strange that it only asks for this for one LUN, not all?

Before the install i removed all fibre cabling and NIC cabling.

Thanks

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Yattong
Expert
Expert

Have you tried rescanning for the luns on the new esx server?

Through vi client and command line.

Good Luck

If you found this or any other answer useful please consider the use of the Helpful or correct buttons to award points ~y
0 Kudos
mats82
Contributor
Contributor

Yep, rescanned both HBA's and refreshed the storage. It shows it as blank?

0 Kudos
mats82
Contributor
Contributor

problem fixed.

The LUN partitions had become corrupt. VM support layed down new partition tables (risk of data loss) but all went smoothly and they re appeared.

0 Kudos
Isaac1668
Contributor
Contributor

I have the same problem, How you fix it? Call Support can't not fix it. Please help. Thanks

Isaac

0 Kudos