VMware Cloud Community
The-Kevster
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

ESX 3.5 Update 2 - Update Manager Wants To Install Update 1???

I think the message subject explains it all but none the less.....

I installed a fresh ISO of ESX 3.5 Update 2 Build 103908 and installed it. Connected it to my upgraded VC 2.5 104215 with Update Manager 1.0u2 1.0.063972 (ok thats all the build numbers in) and I have a single non-critical host update for Update 1.

Should I do this install or am I going to overwrite some newer 3.5 U2 files?

Thanks,

Kev

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
ElmbrookDan
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I have experienced the same issue and just got off the phone with support. We simply remediated the host that was experiencing the condition. The support technician explained that Update Manager has the same resrictions as when you apply patches from the command line and that it will not superseed a patch that is already on the server. In this example since Patch 2 was already on the Host it would not over right Patch 2 files with Patch 1 files. It may apply minor patches that didn't get updated in Patch 2 but it will not over right.

When we remediated a second time it didn't even place the host into maintence mode. It simply remediated and when complete it showed that the host had all the required patches installed.

Hope that helps.

Dan

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
esxhombre
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I am having this issue as well. Rather apprehensive about allowing the server to remediate and possibly install U1 on top of U2, but i would like to get my server out of non-compliant status.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

0 Kudos
The-Kevster
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

It's good to know it's not just me thats having the problem!

0 Kudos
jamieorth
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

It is interesting that they couldn't have a prereq that see's U2 on the host and therefore should not care about U1. Definately do not remediate your U2 host with U1....

Regards...

Jamie

If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful".

Remember, if it's not one thing, it's your mother...

0 Kudos
ElmbrookDan
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I have experienced the same issue and just got off the phone with support. We simply remediated the host that was experiencing the condition. The support technician explained that Update Manager has the same resrictions as when you apply patches from the command line and that it will not superseed a patch that is already on the server. In this example since Patch 2 was already on the Host it would not over right Patch 2 files with Patch 1 files. It may apply minor patches that didn't get updated in Patch 2 but it will not over right.

When we remediated a second time it didn't even place the host into maintence mode. It simply remediated and when complete it showed that the host had all the required patches installed.

Hope that helps.

Dan

0 Kudos
esxhombre
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Dan,

Thanks for passing along the information. Looks like remediating it is the way to go. Thanks for solving this one!

0 Kudos
ian4563
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Had the same issue. If all your hosts are at least U1 then just take it out of the baseline.

0 Kudos