VMware Cloud Community
jbusink
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

ESX 3.5 U2 - Health status warning

We just upgraded to 3.5U2 and VC2.5U2 and now we're getting server health warnings on all servers ("ProcHot for System Board 2 - Normal") for some reason. All machines are HP Proliant DL385G2 with the latest HP tools installed (v8.1). The HP tools don't show any hardware degradation and everything is running just fine, yet VC keeps complaining. Anyone else having the same issue?

0 Kudos
76 Replies
SteveA1
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Greetings

I'm managing a HP DL585 G2.

The message I see is "ProcHot for System Board 8 - Normal" and the Status is "Warning"

How can it be both "Normal" and "Warning"?

What is "System Board 8"?

VI reports:

"Fan 1 for System Board 1" through to "Fan 6 for System Board 6"

"Fans for System Board 7 - Normal"

Temp's for Proc 1,2 and 5. ( 3 and 4 not iinstalled )

My guess is:

Fan1 to 6 are the 3 sets of redundant fans

"Fans for System Board 7" is the power supply fans

"ProcHot for System Board 8 - Normal" may translate to 2nd reudndant power supply not installed.

Does this message appear on system with the second power supply installed?

TIA

0 Kudos
willwgm3
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I have redundant power supplies installed and powered in my systems. I am still receiving this message.

-Will

0 Kudos
SteveA1
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I'm new to all this. I have SSD'd to ILO. I see that ILO has a /system1/fan* Property DeviceID=ProcHot, Status=OK - See attached

. I'm not sure what the * in means "fan", but I also see that /system1/powersupply has

ElementName=ProcHot

OperationalStatus=Missing

HealthState=OK

sensor* shows

DeviceID=ProcHot

ElementName=System Zone

All readings are 0 or N/A

-Steve

0 Kudos
Minotaur_UK
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi,

I have the error same on a Blade465c, does anyone know if this stops DRS from working ? We have 4 others on 3.0.2. I have put DRS on Partially automated and we get no recommendations to put VM's the Blade with the error, but if I put in on Fully automated and aggressive it starts to move VM's onto the Blade. Maybe just a red herring, has anyone encountered this ?

Thanks.

0 Kudos
krival96
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

health status didn't work upgrading esx but clean install did on HP DL380 G4 & G5

kris

kris http://www.vdi.co.nz
0 Kudos
stormlight
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Brand new HP dl385 Out of the box freash install of Update 2 iso and I still have the issue

If you find this or any post helpful please award points

If you find this or any post helpful please award points
0 Kudos
rreynol
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I finally opened a case with HP to get their side of the story. Here it is, basically the prochot reading should be for Intel only. AMD users can ignore the warnings:

"Please ignore this ProcHot warning for any host with AMD CPUs. The ProcHot flag is an Intel only health status flag.

This is an issue with the VMware Cim Server on the ESX.

We already have opened a VMWare support request, and they're still working on it.

As the health status system is being improved we hope to see this issue resolved in a future update/release."

0 Kudos
T3Steve
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I've just opened an SR as well per my TSE's request. The more SR's reporting the issue, the higher up on the fix this this issue will become.

VCP3|VCP4|VSP|VTSP
0 Kudos
meistermn
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Yes, for an clean install on a HP DL 580 G5 prochot is although ok.

0 Kudos
jerd
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

This is a very interesting thread. I have DL585G5s and DL580G4s and G5s as well as DL380G5s. I have ESXi v3.5U2 installed in all environments. I did not use the HP version of the ESXi Installable version on any of these systems and have not seen the issue on any of them. Today, I installed the HP version and now I do see the issue. Is there any advantage to the HP version over the original VMware version? I don't think so, in fact the VMware version also shows a Power Meter for System Board that the HP version does not show. The HP version does, however, show the bogus Other category with the ProcHot entry in yellow Warning status causing the entire host to report in Warning status. We are opting away from the HP version.

0 Kudos
xooops
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi

we did a SR to. (we use HP DL585 G5)

answer:

Thank you for your Support Request.

Health Status is a new feature in ESX 3.5 Update 2.

It reports information received from the IPMI interface of the server.

IPMI is a hardware architecture for reporting information about hardware components.

PROCHOT monitors the CPU temperature and checks if the maximum safe operating temperature has been reached.

If you are receiving alerts, it means that the hardware is reporting high values.

This may not indicate a CPU temperature problem but I recommend contacting your hardware vendor for additional information regarding IPMI and for processor temperature guidelines/information.

I hope I have answered all your questions. I will go ahead and close this case now.

0 Kudos
GlennL10
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

We have brand new HP DL585 G5's with the latest firmware installed. We have installed VMware ESX 3.5 U2.

We are seeing the same warning message under "Health Status" - "ProcHot for System Board 8 - Normal".

Does anybody have any updates on this issue?

0 Kudos
jshelly
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Same issue here (585 G2's)

0 Kudos
bdaniel
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Same issue here. We recently upgraded to VI 3.5 and am seeing this warning on our HP DL585 G2 server however our 585 G1 is not showing the warning. I am going to open a SR to help with the influx of inquiries.

0 Kudos
jshelly
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Thanks bd

It's certainly not that big of a deal, but being responsible for our entire ESX environment it's hard to keep my heart from skipping a beat every time I see a yellow indicator. Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
jbusink
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

A followup on this. I was surprised to not see it fixed in 3.5U3 so I checked with support. Here's their answer:

".. It is a very high priority because of the amount of customers that have reported the issue. The fix is currently targeted for the next release of Virtual Center - Virtual Center 2.5 Update 4 - but this is not definite as of yet. .."

Have to sit tight for another while I guess.

0 Kudos
jshelly
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Any updates on this issue?

This meatloaf is getting cold

0 Kudos
xooops
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

not yet Smiley Sad

0 Kudos
trusted1
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

We're seeing the same problem on 3 new HP DL385 G5 servers with AMD procs (Opteron 2356 quad core). I ask customer to file a SR to help tip the scales. Thanks for posting so we could easily determine our issue!

Sean Clark - -

0 Kudos
MPJ
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi guys,

I'm seeing the same issue on two HP DL785 G5 (AMD) servers, just on System board 11. On ESX 3.5.0 build 123630.

See attach file.

0 Kudos