VMware Cloud Community
seangar
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Dual server VC upgrade

We have an existing 3.0.2ESX / 2.2VC farm with 3 clusters (28 dell1950's) and NFS storage. We choose to run Lic server and SQL on VC box.

I have another VC (2.5) running (eval period just ended) with SQL. I have tested moving ESX boxes to the new cluster and it appears to work fine.

1. will installing the lic server create a mess with existing lic server (the 2 VC servers have different names and IP's) ?

2. I think moving the lic server last would be the best option... all the lics for ESX and VC last ?

Thoughts... TIA

S

<!-- Kerio Popup Killer - script has been appended by KPF -->

<!--

nopopups();

//-->

<!-- Kerio Popup Killer - end of the script appended by KPF-->

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
taits
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

From experience when creating a standby VC server, installing the license server on a second server doesn't cause any issues. Impotantly - I've stopped all the VirtualCenter server services on the current VC server prior to installation of VC & License server on another server. And make sure not to 'initialise' any databases.... OH - and backup databases prior to doing installation. Lastly, only manage the farm/datacentre by one VC server at a time - thereby stopping the VC services on one of the VC servers.

Regards

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
1 Reply
taits
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

From experience when creating a standby VC server, installing the license server on a second server doesn't cause any issues. Impotantly - I've stopped all the VirtualCenter server services on the current VC server prior to installation of VC & License server on another server. And make sure not to 'initialise' any databases.... OH - and backup databases prior to doing installation. Lastly, only manage the farm/datacentre by one VC server at a time - thereby stopping the VC services on one of the VC servers.

Regards

0 Kudos