VMware Cloud Community
Newb449
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Domain credentials required when logging on

Hi,

For reasons unknown, I have to precede my logon to my VCenter server with my vSphere client with the domain name.  (in other words domain\username as opposed to just username). I've never had to do this on other installations.

What am I missing?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
raog
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Hmm.. if you are using 5.1, then you have SSO and he behavior is expected..But your post earlier indicated that you had a pre 5.1 env(without SSO) 4.x VC doesnt have SSO and so you dont need the domain stuff.

Regards

Girish

To Virtualization and beyond! PS::If you felt the answer as helpful, please mark it as helpful/answered so that it helps other users as well! Blog:: www.virtualtipsntricks.com

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
13 Replies
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

The other times were you using an account local to the vCenter server? when using a domain account I have always had to provide the domain -

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
0 Kudos
Newb449
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

No I was not using an account local to the vCenter server.  I only use domain accounts.

0 Kudos
schepp
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Hi,

in SSO identity source configuration, you have to make your domain a standard domain. After that you should be able to log in just with the username.

Tim

0 Kudos
Newb449
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

This is VSphere 5.1 pre SSO

0 Kudos
schepp
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

vSphere 5.1 uses SSO

0 Kudos
grasshopper
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

Check out this video from the Wahl Network to see how to easily set this up:

Configuring SSO Default Search Domains

0 Kudos
Newb449
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Apologies for the misquote.  This is pre SSO (vSphere 5.0)

0 Kudos
ManjunathV
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Yes is mandatory to provide the domain while logging in, since some environment has multiple domain, sso doesn't identify from which domain trying to login... so please please use domain name to login.

0 Kudos
raog
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

What is different on this particular installation? Can you use the same client on the machine to connect to a different VC without providing the creds in the domain\username format?

Regards

Girish

To Virtualization and beyond! PS::If you felt the answer as helpful, please mark it as helpful/answered so that it helps other users as well! Blog:: www.virtualtipsntricks.com
0 Kudos
Newb449
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I think the issue has something to do with the vCenter server.  If I log into the vCenter 5.10 server with my client (or log on locally) if I do not precede my userneame with my domain name I get a message the the login failed because of bad username or password.  If I log into vCenter 4.x I do not need to provide the domain.

0 Kudos
raog
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Hmm.. if you are using 5.1, then you have SSO and he behavior is expected..But your post earlier indicated that you had a pre 5.1 env(without SSO) 4.x VC doesnt have SSO and so you dont need the domain stuff.

Regards

Girish

0 Kudos
iamsiju
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

If  5.0 vCenter Server, LocalOS and Active Directory users are valid. When you try with just username , you are in fact logging  through Local OS user of that vCenter Server machine. Please  check your username has vCenter Server permission (Permissions tab of vCenter Server ) or it is a member of  a group which has vCenter Server permission.

**if you found this or any other answer useful, please consider allocating points for helpful or correct answers**
0 Kudos
Newb449
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Yes this in fact a 5.1 SSO environment

0 Kudos