VMware Cloud Community
Timbo74
Contributor
Contributor

Does upgrading to vCenter 4 make any changes to my ESX hosts?

Does upgrading to vCenter 4 make any changes to my esx 3.5 hosts? We run our vCenter 2.5 in a VM and I want to take a copy of the vm before the upgrade so that we can roll back if things don't go as planned. So will my esx 3.5 hosts care if they see a v4 vCenter and then we roll back to a v2.5 one?

Thanks,

Tim Coombes

0 Kudos
5 Replies
krowczynski
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Look at this Matrix in PDF, there shoulg be no problem doing so.

But make a Backup of these databases:

-master

-VCenterDB

-msdb

MCP, VCP

MCP, VCP3 , VCP4
Timbo74
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for the speedy response, my real concern is that will the esx host have it's configuration changed once it connects to a v4 vCenter. I'm pretty sure they don't but I just want to be 100% before I run the upgrade in production.

TimC

0 Kudos
krowczynski
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Hi,

the agent on the host will be updated.

But if you not plan to update the hosts, why you want to update vcenter?

MCP, VCP

MCP, VCP3 , VCP4
Timbo74
Contributor
Contributor

We're upgrading vCenter prior to setting up our DR site so we can't get familiar with it. We intend to upgrade the hosts but we're currently waiting for the new version of Veeam to be released to help mitigate the service console throttling issue with ESX 4.

So as long as I don't roll out the updated agent until we upgrade the esx hosts I should be fine to roll vCenter back?

I know I'm being overly cautious but we're relativley new to virtualisation (in production anyway) so I'd like to be able to roll back to vCenter 2.5 if things don't go as planned, as very unlikely as it is.

Thanks,

TimC

0 Kudos
krowczynski
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Should be no problem, but I think that you will have no problem with upgrading to vcenter4.

Good luck!!

If you found this information correct or helpful award points

Tank you!

MCP, VCP

MCP, VCP3 , VCP4
0 Kudos