VMware Cloud Community
MarkPartin
Contributor
Contributor

Does Enabling VCSA HA Cause Outage?

I've looked at documentation but haven't found a clear answer.  I have a primary VCSA 6.7 that I want to enable HA on to get those benefits. However, I have not found if the process causes any sort of outage for vCenter.

I'd like to do this during a time of my choosing, but that requires a confirmation to management of no outage. If I can't give that assurance, then I'll have to schedule it during a standard outage window that is inconvenient to me.

Does anyone know? Have you performed the process and can confirm one way or the other?

TIA

0 Kudos
4 Replies
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Moderator: Thread moved to the vCenter Server area.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos
Raudi
Expert
Expert

I have several times enables or disabled vCenter HA in a production environment, there is no outage.

And from my experience i can say: Don't use the H5 client, use the flash client for the inital setup.

0 Kudos
NicolasAlauzet

As Raudi said, there is no downtime...

But if you want to see it by yourself, the next is the official video of the feature in a walkthough of the configuration process (you will se that there is no outage)

Enabling Basic Configuration For vCenter (HA) High Availability | vSphere - YouTube

-------------------------------------------------------------------
Triple VCIX (CMA-NV-DCV) | vExpert | MCSE | CCNA
0 Kudos
Sukanyad
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

VCSA HA doesn't allow for patching with no downtime, then you have to reconsider deploying it. Just enabling  it and it doesn't cause an outage .

0 Kudos