VMware Cloud Community
glab75
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Do I risk any VM performance issues during vCenter VCSA upgrade from v6.5 to v6.7 on vSAN cluster?

Do I risk any VM performance issues during vCenter VCSA upgrade from v6.5 to v6.7 on vSAN cluster?  From my experience the only caveat of performing a vCenter upgrade is not being able to access the vCenter GUI for a limited time, but  VM's should continue to function during vCenter upgrade.  Just want to confirm this with the community.  If there is a high risk of affecting any CPU/MEM/Network/IO VM performance, I will opt to perform the upgrade during off-peak hours. 

Feedback appreciated.

regards...

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
lucasbernadsky
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Hi there!

You are absolutely right. You will lose vCenter management during the upgrade but everything will continue to run normally. Since all vSAN, NSX, HA runs in ESXi kernel, VMs won't be affected whatsoever.

I suggest you run the upgrade off-hours, with previous backup. Maybe you will need to reconnect some vCenter endpoints as NSX Manager, vROps, vRA, given that self signed certificates will change.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
lucasbernadsky
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Hi there!

You are absolutely right. You will lose vCenter management during the upgrade but everything will continue to run normally. Since all vSAN, NSX, HA runs in ESXi kernel, VMs won't be affected whatsoever.

I suggest you run the upgrade off-hours, with previous backup. Maybe you will need to reconnect some vCenter endpoints as NSX Manager, vROps, vRA, given that self signed certificates will change.

0 Kudos
glab75
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Super.  Thanks very much for your reply.  Appreciated.

0 Kudos