VMware Cloud Community
wilmars75
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Distributed Switch

I have a quick and simple question hopefully. I have about 20 new ESXI servers I need to add to a pre-existing distributed switch. I only have one vmk0 assigned to hypervisors using the standard switch. In the end, after associating the ESXI host to the distributed switch, I will ultimately have 4 total.

My question is, should I create the other VMK kernels first and assign a network/VLAN IP then add the host to the distributed switch -OR- should I add the host to the distributed switch, then create the new vmk kernels?

Thanks in advance!

Labels (3)
0 Kudos
2 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
memaad
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

First add all ESXI host using your vmk0, to existing Distributed switch, and then create required other vmkernel interface , because you will have port group available and you wont need to migrate all vmkernel interface  while adding esxi host.

Technically either ways its fine.

Mohammed | Mark it as helpful or correct if my suggestion is useful.

View solution in original post

RajeevVCP4
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

You can follow this article 

https://docs.vmware.com/en/VMware-vSphere/8.0/vsan-network-design-guide/GUID-91E1CD6F-33A6-4AC6-BC22...

Rajeev Chauhan
VCIX-DCV6.5/VSAN/VXRAIL
Please mark help full or correct if my answer is use full for you

View solution in original post

4 Replies
memaad
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

First add all ESXI host using your vmk0, to existing Distributed switch, and then create required other vmkernel interface , because you will have port group available and you wont need to migrate all vmkernel interface  while adding esxi host.

Technically either ways its fine.

Mohammed | Mark it as helpful or correct if my suggestion is useful.
RajeevVCP4
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

You can follow this article 

https://docs.vmware.com/en/VMware-vSphere/8.0/vsan-network-design-guide/GUID-91E1CD6F-33A6-4AC6-BC22...

Rajeev Chauhan
VCIX-DCV6.5/VSAN/VXRAIL
Please mark help full or correct if my answer is use full for you
wilmars75
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks for the feedback!

0 Kudos
RosaKnop
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks for the link, you made my day. If I still want to know more, I will message you. I am so glad I found your post by mistake. If you are a student

and are looking for some help in Hire Case Study Writing Services work as writing a paper for college then you can see here now to find all the information you need. This can also help with research and term papers, coursework, and all reviews. No matter what type of writing assistance you need.
Tags (1)
0 Kudos