VMware Cloud Community
khughes
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Displaying vCenter Health on informational display?

So this is a bit of a long shot, but seeing that I'm sure it's being done out there as wondering what people are using to display the health or stats of vCenter on an informational screen within a server room or in an IT area?  I know they did something similar at VMworld 2011 in the lab area with the fishes but that would be for a huge environment which we are not.

Basically what we would like to do is put up an larger LCD in our server room so we can look at it for general information on the systems and see if anything is alarming or is down.  I've looked at things like Nagios and other monitoring tools but was curious what other people out there do in this type of situation.

Thanks

-- Kyle "RParker wrote: I guess I was wrong, everything CAN be virtualized "
0 Kudos
3 Replies
vmroyale
Immortal
Immortal

Hey Kyle,

I worked in a shop once that had WhatsUp, SCCM and at least one other app up on big screens in the operations center. It was nice and there was no denying you didn't know something was wrong!  I've heard okay things about Spiceworks, but havent' looked at it myself.

Good Luck!

Brian Atkinson | vExpert | VMTN Moderator | Author of "VCP5-DCV VMware Certified Professional-Data Center Virtualization on vSphere 5.5 Study Guide: VCP-550" | @vmroyale | http://vmroyale.com
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal

for us, we choose to use the free version of VMTurbo to help with monitoring health status. Beyond that, I also have a "monitoring station" setup at my desk with vCenter open at all time.  And last but not least, we ensure all the important alarms are enabled and use SMTP for alerting.

khughes
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Thanks for the suggestions I'll check them out.

-- Kyle "RParker wrote: I guess I was wrong, everything CAN be virtualized "
0 Kudos