VMware Cloud Community
mpjubbGaltec
Contributor
Contributor

Disk dirty block copy failed. Canceling Storage vMotion.

Morning all,

im trying to vMotion a VM to another datastore.  There is just one vmdk that wont copy across.

Im not trying to customise it in anyway.  Even if i shut down the vm to carry out a cold  migration, it still fails.

I've tried using FastSCP and that also fails.

Can anyone offer any help with this please?

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
7 Replies
timemachine
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi,

is there ny snapshhots in that disk if yes delete snapshots with vm powered off and then try.... tail -f the vmkerenel logs whhen storage vmothhin fails and paste the contents of logs /var/log/meassages as well here.

TM

0 Kudos
mpjubbGaltec
Contributor
Contributor

No, there is no snapshot.

I dont know how to tail -f the vmkerenel logs..

0 Kudos
timemachine
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi,

Firstly let me know the exact error thrown when it fails.

secondly establish two ssh sessions to the esx server where the vm resides and ruun the command # tail -f /var/log/messages and

# tail -f /var/log/vmkernel , ensure that you open this sessions before starting the cold migration of the vm files

Thirdly go to the vm rightclick on it selecgt edit settings and click on the storage controller take a screen shot....click on the disk that does not successfully move again take a snapshot and upload these two snapshots here

TM

0 Kudos
timemachine
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

adding to the second point.....wait till the migrations errors out then copy paste the outputs of the tail -f commands here.

TM

0 Kudos
mpjubbGaltec
Contributor
Contributor

Unfortunately i cant do a cold migration as this VM is vCenter.  All i can do is move the files from their current datastore to the new datasstore when the vm is turned off.

0 Kudos
timemachine
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Yes thats what i meant sorry to have used the wrong word....please move the files to other datastore and do the 3 steps i mentioned.

TM

0 Kudos
mpjubbGaltec
Contributor
Contributor

I havent tried the above steps yet but i now get a different error message.

I have an alert:  "An error occured while communicating with the remote host".

Its just one VMDK that wont migrate.  Unfortunately its the one that has vcenter installed on it.  it wouldnt be too difficult to delete that vmdk and just reinstall vcenter..

0 Kudos