VMware Cloud Community
langpootmug
Contributor
Contributor

Disaster Recovery of vCenter using Symantec System Recovery 2013 (SSR2013)

I have a situation where we have a physical vCenter server that is "kept together with tape and rope".

We have a new machine but with dissimilar hardware.  Rebuilding is possible but will take a lot of time, something we not really have as the machine is used almost 24/7

Knowing the SSR product very well we did following:

- stop all vCenter services

- stop SQL

- create a SSR Recovery Point (aka image)

- Restore the Recovery Point to the new hardware

The result is following:

- Windows is automatically adjusted to the new hardware.  HAL, Mass Storage, NIC.. al is working nicely

- vCenter Server (and the Management Webservices) are not started... All other vCenter services (and SQL) are.

Log is telling following:

[02492 info 'Default'] Thread attached

[01020 error 'Default'] Found dangling SSL error: [0] error:00000001:lib(0):func(0):reason(1)

[01020 error 'Default'] Found dangling SSL error: [1] error:00000001:lib(0):func(0):reason(1)

[01020 error '[SSO][SsoFactory_CreateFacade]'] Unable to create SSO facade: vmodl.fault.SystemError.

[01020 warning 'VpxProfiler'] Vpxd::ServerApp::Init [Vpx::Common::Sso::SsoFactory_CreateFacade(sslContext, ssoFacadeConstPtr)] took 873 ms

I am not very familiar with the vCenter product in the sense how deep it does use the (HW-SW) details from the computer it is installed on; ie does it use hw/sw details in creating certificates etc..

Or am I searchin in the wrong room here?

Any suggestion is welcome!!

Thx,  Guido

0 Kudos
0 Replies