VMware Cloud Community
JimN
Contributor
Contributor

Disable the use of vSphere Client to vCenter 6

I have recently moved to ESXi 6 and updated the vCenter. I am getting use to the web client but there are others here that want to use the client as a remote KVM switch. I have looked all over to find a way to block the use of the vSphere Client and I can not find it or im asking the wrong question.

So my question: Is there a way to block the vSphere client from accessing the vCenter server?

Jim

0 Kudos
1 Reply
aaronwsmith
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

You can review this KB which provides all the ports for connectivity between components in vSphere 6:

https://kb.vmware.com/kb/2131180

However, if you look you'll need to block inbound HTTP/443 from client devices to prevent the C# client from working.  Problem is, this would also block connectivity to the reverse proxy on vCenter, which essentially would prohibit access to many HTTPS facilities in vCenter.

Perhaps you should approach this differently ... VMware is going to (finally) terminate the C# client, and 40%+ customers have deployed the HTML5 web client fling into production.  So you could try the HTML5 client and show users that C# is not going to be available long term:

Goodbye vSphere Client for Windows (C#) – Hello HTML5 - VMware vSphere Blog - VMware Blogs

0 Kudos