VMware Cloud Community
hedak
Contributor
Contributor

Differences in managing ESXi with vCenter server and vSphere client

Hi VMware community, i'm a newbee in managing VMware hosts. I'd like to know what the differences between vCenter server and vSphere client in relation to managing ESXi are. On a windows7 pro 64 but machine I got vSphere client connected to a machine with ESXi installed. As i could read in the compatibility list vCenter Server is not supported to be instlled on windows 7, so installation didn't work and i couldn't play around with it. Later i will have an OS supported by vCenter Server... I know there are a lot of documentations, but as i said i'm a newbee and don't understand all function yet.

As i could figure out i can manage the ESXi host and the hosts VMs using vSphere client, but why should i use vCenter server (too)? Does it add any features? I hope you understand my question.

THX in advance!

0 Kudos
5 Replies
hedak
Contributor
Contributor

Sorry for 'writing windows7 pro 64 but machine', i meant 'windows7 pro 64 machine'. Don't know how the 'but' came into that text...

0 Kudos
AWo
Immortal
Immortal

vCenter server is to manage a farm of ESX(i) hosts. If you want to use functions like HA, DRS, etc. you need vCenter as a central administration point. vCenter is the bracket around your ESX(i) hosts.

In addition you can use the AD user and group objects, wheras a vClient attached to an ESX(i) server only utilizes the local accounts of the ESX(i) host.

AWo

VCP 3 & 4

\[:o]===\[o:]

=Would you like to have this posting as a ringtone on your cell phone?=

=Send "Posting" to 911 for only $999999,99!=

vExpert 2009/10/11 [:o]===[o:] [: ]o=o[ :] = Save forests! rent firewood! =
hedak
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for your answer. So its not possible to utilize the local accounts of 2 ESX(i) hosts with vSphere client at the same time?

If i only needed to use vSphere client do have to buy vSphere for the ESXi licenses anyway?

0 Kudos
AWo
Immortal
Immortal

Thanks for your answer. So its not possible to utilize the local accounts of 2 ESX(i) hosts with vSphere client at the same time?

No, but you can start the vSphere client twice.

If i only needed to use vSphere client do have to buy vSphere for the ESXi licenses anyway?

I don't understand that question.

AWo

VCP 3 & 4

\[:o]===\[o:]

=Would you like to have this posting as a ringtone on your cell phone?=

=Send "Posting" to 911 for only $999999,99!=

vExpert 2009/10/11 [:o]===[o:] [: ]o=o[ :] = Save forests! rent firewood! =
0 Kudos
hedak
Contributor
Contributor

Ok, its all clear now! Thank you very much! I forgot to delete the last (stupid) question... Sorry

0 Kudos