VMware Cloud Community
ros01507
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Detect Virtual Machine in bluescreen

Anyone know how to detect from Vcenter or via script ESX, the virtual machines that are with bluescreen. There is an alarm, but it registers false case.
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
DSTAVERT
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

I don't know that there is a way to detect an actual blue screen, however it is possible to detect the loss of VM heartbeat providing VMware Tools is installed. You can use Virtual Machine HA to attempt a restart of a crashed VM determined by the loss of heartbeat. If you are using VM HA monitoring and have false positives you can try adjusting the heartbeat sensitivity.

-- David -- VMware Communities Moderator

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
MauroBonder
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Hello,

Sorry i undestand delete....lolll

you can check into console. click in each virtual machine and check a console.

look if help too http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?language=en_US&cmd=displayKC&externalId=100629...

Please, don't forget the awarding points for "helpful" and/or "correct" answers.

Mauro Bonder - Moderator

*Please, don't forget the awarding points for "helpful" and/or "correct" answers. *Por favor, não esqueça de atribuir os pontos se a resposta foi útil ou resolveu o problema.* Thank you/Obrigado
0 Kudos
DSTAVERT
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

I don't know that there is a way to detect an actual blue screen, however it is possible to detect the loss of VM heartbeat providing VMware Tools is installed. You can use Virtual Machine HA to attempt a restart of a crashed VM determined by the loss of heartbeat. If you are using VM HA monitoring and have false positives you can try adjusting the heartbeat sensitivity.

-- David -- VMware Communities Moderator
0 Kudos
cmacmillan
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Perhaps monitoring for the byproduct of a bluescreen (i.e. the dump file, etc.) would be useful. Write the file to a VMDK on an NFS volume and periodically test for size change (external to vCenter). There may be a way to detect the blue screen event in the VM's log file (again, NFS with log watch or central logging alarm). Otherwise, I agree with @DSTAVERT the VM heartbeat failure (with proper escalation tweaks) is the best (i.e. most integrated and seamless) way to go.

Collin C. MacMillan, VCP4/VCP5 VCAP-DCD4 Cisco CCNA/CCNP, Nexenta CNE VMware vExpert 2010-2012 SOLORI - Solution Oriented, LLC http://blog.solori.net If you find this information useful, please award points for "correct" or "helpful".
0 Kudos
ros01507
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

You can explain how to set this process, after have installed the Vmware tools in the virtual machine
0 Kudos
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

ros01507 wrote:

You can explain how to set this process, after have installed the Vmware tools in the virtual machine

VMM is a feature with HA.  So, edit settings of your cluster(s).  Under VMware HA you'll see VM Monitoring.  There you can configure your settings.

ros01507
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I have to try it. I have to test in a test environment. Thank you.
0 Kudos