VMware Cloud Community
duhaas
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Deploying tempate requiring I386 files

After building an image and than useing the customization wizard to build my paramaters, each time the VM gets deployed it keeps looking for the I386 files in \sysprep\i386, where can i change the sysprepr.inf that gets build by the customization wizards since its not looking where i want if for i386 files.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
bolsen
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Correct, recreate the VM without using the NLite disc.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
11 Replies
vmroyale
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Check this link.

Brian Atkinson | vExpert | VMTN Moderator | Author of "VCP5-DCV VMware Certified Professional-Data Center Virtualization on vSphere 5.5 Study Guide: VCP-550" | @vmroyale | http://vmroyale.com
0 Kudos
williamarrata
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

This is the way I usually did it. I created a build (server) the way I wanted it. This was a vanilla build. Then turned it into a template. Then I created in the "Customization Specification Manager the different tweaks that i needed. When building the server from template, I then choose the tweak that I need and it builds without issue. Just make sure you have all the licenseing and passwords correctly. You shoulden't have any issues after that.

Hope that helped. Smiley Happy

Hope that helped. 🙂
0 Kudos
williamarrata
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Oh, buy the way, do NOT sysprep your server, let VMWare prep it itself while it readies it for the build.

Hope that helped. Smiley Happy

Hope that helped. 🙂
0 Kudos
duhaas
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Thats where my problem is, I have a vanilla build of XP, i shutdown the image, and than create it a template from that. I than customize my deployment and it keeps looking for the I386 files in the c:\sysprep folder, not sure how I am suppose to get the I386 files into that folder??? Will take a look @ scotts post

0 Kudos
duhaas
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

does anyone happen to know where these files would of moved to in VC 2.5, thes files in the post by scott lowe dont show up anymore in VC2.5

0 Kudos
kjb007
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

If you're looking for where to put your sysprep information in 2.5, it's here : C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\VMware\VMware VirtualCenter\sysprep\svr2003

Each OS gets its own folder for customization.

If you're asking for where i386 folder location is stored, it is in the registry: Look here: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Setup

-KjB

vExpert/VCP/VCAP vmwise.com / @vmwise -KjB
0 Kudos
duhaas
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I appreciate the responses from everyone, but still have the same issues after modifying the i386 reg key before converting it to a template:

0 Kudos
bolsen
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

By chance, did the initial install of this VM use a NLite CD? If so, that's the problem. I have this same problem and the only way to get around it was to recreate the template using an authentic ISO.

FYI the new 2.5 VC "sysprep" deletes existing Sysprep folders and does not query the registry for the default i386 directory upon bootup. I'm trying to find out how to edit the customization specification .xml file to include an i386 path but I haven't figured that out yet. Smiley Sad

Edit... looks like the above link is promising.

0 Kudos
duhaas
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Actually i did use NLITE to create the xp iso image i used. So i should just use a normal xp non nlite iso?

0 Kudos
bolsen
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Correct, recreate the VM without using the NLite disc.

0 Kudos
tlyczko
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I found the best solution was to create a /sysprep/i386 folder and copy them all into there...ESX's setup will use these files and then delete the whole /sysprep folder for you...

0 Kudos