VMware Cloud Community
nsusa
Contributor
Contributor

Deploying VM from template - NIC does not connect automatically - Sysprep fails

I got a weird issue here. Whenever I deploy a new VM from a template and use the customization wizard aka sysprep to customize the machine, the virtual NIC will not connect by default. If I do not catch it on time sysprep will completely fail. If I catch I connect the NIC and set it to connect upon power on and things work. Any idea why this would be the case?

I am on ESX U1 and VCC 2.5 U2.

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal

how do you have your NIC configuration setup in the template? I would convert the template to a VM, then edit settings and ensure your network adapter is set to the right one as well as making sure there is a check mark next to connected and connect at power on.

Also, you may be aware of this, don't sysprep you template, just shut it down and deploy of VMware's customization specs.

hope this helps

0 Kudos
nsusa
Contributor
Contributor

This happens even with brandnew templates. The machines are fully patched and connected. The NIC settings are set to connect upon power-on. I even check the hardware settings when finalizing the job and it shows the setting checked.

In regards to the sysprep - yeah, I am aware of that. I am only using the VM customization wizard. I was not specific enough when I posted. But thanks for pointing that out again Smiley Happy

Chris

0 Kudos
jvolovsek
Contributor
Contributor

Was there ever a fix for this one because I am having the exact same issues?

0 Kudos
Slotz00
Contributor
Contributor

I also am having this problem. It may have to do with customization but I can't be sure. when I deploy the NIC's connect at power on is not checked. It's all new to me anyhow.

Anyone get this resolved? If so could you kindly share?

Thanks,

Scott

0 Kudos
obriensl
Contributor
Contributor

I'm seeing the same issue now, with my windows 2008 deploy from template.

did anyone ever find out what the issue is? i'm sure its something with sysprep. i deploy from template using customization spec, but when the new system powers on, i never see the grey screen with the VMWARE CUSTOMIZATION message, it just shows the microsoft loading bar then goes straight thru boot to logon screen. the vm does not have the connected or connect at power on check box on the nic set, so it never gets an ip or does any customization. If i attach the nic and reboot, i see that vmware customization message screen flash across at the reboot, but it never does do any customization. then on every subsequent reboot, it still flashes that customization message.

we've verified everything we can think of or find thru reading the communities, nothing seems to fix this. I don't know if the sysprep doesn't run because of the NIC, or if the NIC is not attached because customization doesn't run.

0 Kudos