VMware Cloud Community
cleighto
Contributor
Contributor

Deployed VM is not getting added to the domain. "The network location cannot be reached" in guestcust.log

running vSphere 4... deploying a VM to a ESX 3.5 host. The VM is a Windows 2003 Enterprise SP2 (32bit) OS.

The Customer spec I am using is pretty vanilla... basically adding the machine to the domain and not much else. The user account to add the user to the domain is valid, and privi'd enough to add machines to the domain. The same custom spec used to workjust fine.... but now, it doesn't everything except adding the machine to the domain properly.

I found a log in C:\WINDOWS\Temp\vmware-imc... in guestcust.log:

Returning value
DEPTEST2\ROOT\CIMV2:Win32_NetworkAdapterConfiguration.Index=8 for system property

Joining domain <my lab's FQDN> using account <domain administrator> and password '*****'

The network location cannot be reached. For information about network troubleshooting, see Windows Help.

That would appear to be a network connection issue.... but its not a permanent issue since the machine is on the network (albiet in WORKGROUP). I usually see that kind of error if I tried a unqualified domain name on a box that can't resolve the FQDN.. but I know all that seems OK. When I log into the machine, I can add the box to the domain using the same FQDN and user just fine.

I've tried using both the VMXNET 2 Enhanced adapter as well as the Flexible network adapter... no dice.

Has anyone seen anything like this before?

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal

maybe this will be helpful?

http://kb.vmware.com/kb/1008096

cleighto
Contributor
Contributor

That didn't fix this issue, but that KB article might clear up a problem that has popped up from time to time in the past. Thanks

0 Kudos